Reason for Divorce: Dewlap Toulouse Gosling....

Calebs Acre

Songster
14 Years
May 17, 2008
Long Island
My husband never had animals. He sure is learning fast, but he HATES me to have birds in the house...and especially in the bedroom. Well, he works overnights and I've only hatched two dewlap toulouse babies this year and there are three weeks in between them. They each are with other birds because of the size difference. The oldest one, no name yet, is with runners and Cracker, the youngest, is with turkeys.

Anyway, for some reason, the older one, who I might cop out and call SweetPeep, is again very, very vocal and driving me nuts. There is food..there is water....heck, I even gave them a can of peas!!! But, PEEP PEEP PEEP PEEP anyway. So, I broke my husband's rule..he's not here anyway. I got a towel, wrapped up the "baby" and right now I am laying in bed with my laptop, wrapped up gosling in the crook of my arm, as it sleeps, with a little sleepy whispery peep here and there. NOW, all of the other babies are finally sleeping! Sweets is all curled up inside the towel in a ball.

Now, I am in deep trouble....how can I ever put this sweet little thing back? Makes me want to go get the other one and put it in the other arm!! I had four dewlap babies last year, but they just never really had much to do with me. I'm just so taken with this one! I am afraid to breathe for fear I will wake it up.

I know most people let their birds get close, but I haven't yet gotten my husband to that point. I'm sure he'll throw a fit if he comes home to a dewlap gosling sleeping in a towel in the bed.

LOL...just had to share with those of you who can relate to sleeping with a gosling......

Last edited:
I never had human kids.....I hate to admit it, but I am not at all humanly maternal, but animals....different story, but this is the closest thing to giving birth...hatching the darn thing and watching it come out of the egg after waiting what seems like 1,000 years.

I'd take a photo, but that would just start the peeping again. LOL. I am so proud that it will sleep in my arm like this. It's probably sick of those messy, smelly ducks. LOL

Last edited:
If I had a web cam, you'd die laughing. I am almost 6 feet tall and, well, FAT. But, I have two Saint Bernards and the dewlap in bed with me with my laptop. Quite a sight.

ETA: My entire house smells like smelly duck since I have runners everywhere. The kitchen, the dining room, the utility room, the basement. AND just had 21 more eggs pip tonight. Need some smelly bed ducks?

Last edited:
Quote:
Never had the kids either. It all started w/ dogs, had chickens as a kid on mawmaws farm. The husband does put up w/ a lot. HA! Survived Katrina,got new house and built a giant porch all coverd and fenced like a big cage. HA! This year we are replaceing all the birds alot died of old age. Got the duel purpose birds out in the coop, Have 4 new babie ducks(3wks) to go w my old swedish and a batch of bantams(blk frizzels,blu cochins, blu silkies and blu millefleur D'Uccles). They will be going to the coop as soon as I build a long cage. Just ordered my first pair of African geese. They will be the only babies on the porch and will get all our attention can not wait!!! Thinking of a bator for next spring. I told mine he better spend time w the geese so they get to know him. I can see it now.:confused:sband running w/ goose on his butt. We already had this happen except w three minpins. Ha!

I have a nose like a dog so I can't keep anything smelly in my house. It would drive me nuts.
roll.png
Good luck with the DH. He's probably putting together an intervention team.

I know exactly how you feel, about being maternal with animals but not with human children... I don't know why it is, but I'm completely content with it. Luckily, no one complains when there are birds running around the house. You're making me crave gosling snuggles.
smile.png

Well, we have 12 runner babies hatch this morning, so a few minutes ago, it was time to move them to the brooder. DH went down to the hatcher to pick up the duckies to bring them upstairs and I hear him baby-talking to them, "OOOOOOOH, you're a cute little guy....but YOU, you're a cutie too.....and AHHHHH, another nice one!!!", etc. So, he is coming along, just slowly. He is NOT as crazy about the goosies...YET.

I LOVE the goosie snuggles, too.

DiVon....I bet surviving Katrina is sort of like being a NY area resident during 9/11? Everyone wants to know exactly what it was "really like"? I'm glad to hear you made it out safely!!!

Back
Top Bottom