reasonable incubator suggestions?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by CountryFriedChicken, Feb 12, 2012.

1. CountryFriedChicken

CountryFriedChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 26, 2011
    Gainesville, GA
    Rather than depend on the broody hens, I am looking for an incubator. But the problem is that i am only starting out and would only like to hatch 100 eggs at a time and build from there. I realize I probably will need 2 different incubators (i.e. when 1 is in lock down use another one if needed). I am hoping to work my way up to the sportsman... but $600+ is way too much right now.

Does anybody have any suggestions? I am in Georgia and it really does get humid in the summer. Kinda dry this winter.

Does anybody have any suggestions that can be reasonable? I will include egg turners of course so that is a must.

Thank you very much... looking forward to the suggestions.

2. peafowlmom

peafowlmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 20, 2011
    Summerville ,SC
    Go to the search area. It is just above incuba. & hatching chicks. I found all kinds of older threads. Sorry I couldn't be of more help

3. madamwlf

madamwlf Nevermore Acres

Aug 22, 2010
    Mount Airy, MD
    Your best bet is to build one. There are no small incubators that can incubate that many at one time. If you plan to incubate a lot I would go with a cabinet. That's what I did. It was well worth it too. I highly recommend looking at the Dickey Incubators.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2012
  4. CountryFriedChicken

Nov 26, 2011
    Gainesville, GA
    Thanks... it looks like I am able to understand the Dickey better than the hovabator genesis (so far).

I really do like the cabient ones better anyway...

I will go and look in the stickeys.

Also does anybody have any luck hatching in an incubator in the basement? I have a partially finished basement. Or a garage? The barn is not consistent with the temps so I wont be able to keep one in there.

5. cashdl

cashdl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 25, 2008
    Willits
    I have a Dickeys incubator and a Dickeys hatcher. Let me just say, they are well worth the money. If you can't see spending for a new one try looking on your local craigslist. I bought new ones, but I still scour the net looking for that great deal on a used one. There are always used GQFs for around $350 to $400.00

Lanae

6. CountryFriedChicken

Nov 26, 2011
    Gainesville, GA
    Thanks... I am glad to hear of positive feedback.

7. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    I build incubators If your interested let me know.

8. mohillbilly

mohillbilly Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2012
    Poplar Bluff , MO
    A little info Any I build You can put anywhere as long as it's not drafty.

9. Marty1876

Marty1876 Hi Everyone!

Basement is o.k., if temps stay consistant. Definately avoid barns, uninsulated garages, and sheds. My mom hatched eggs in her 200 egg bator in a basement for years. Good Luck.

I note there are many plans available for building out of everything from wood to old refridgerators. My biology prof. uses a convered freezor with lightbulbs and a rheastat- drilled holes top and bottem for air. She actually drilled large holesusing a holesaw into ext. plywood pieces ot hold eggs, and simply angles them from one side up to the other morning, noon, afternoon, and bedtime. Just keeps moving the yoga blocks she uses from side to side. Lots of creatative people out there!

10. DCasper

DCasper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2012
    Benton, KY
    Dickey's sound like the way to go, but I would like to get catalogs from any seller of Incubators that are willing to provide them. I am leaning towards Dickey's, but it is not set in stone.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by