Reasonable length of time for chicken recovery?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by CMcgraw, Aug 28, 2010.

1. CMcgraw

CMcgraw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    Hello,
    I posted a week ago regarding my 4 mth old hen who wasn't walking right and was pale.... turned out she had a massive mite infestation. Anyhow, I've had her isolated for the past week, in her little "sick room" in our house. She is eating/drinking some, although I did need to force pedialyte into her on monday. Her feet are still curled up and her legs are too weak to support her for long. I let her out on the lawn a couple times a day to let her stretch. She will peck at the grass, but really has no strength to do anything but sit there. She looks the same as last week. If she tries to flap her wings and get up, she falls over and can't right herself on her own.

How long do I wait? I feel awful for her, because she has no strength and I can't imagine what this lack of activity is doing to her muscles.
    There is no vet who deals with poultry here.
    Thanks you for all your help!!!

2. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

There is no set time for Length of recovery ....... If you have exhausted all resources you feel comfortable trying, if the chicken is in pain or the chickens quality of life will be poor,if their is no improvement or the chicken has given up, then letting go may be necessary. Have you wormed this chicken?

3. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Chickenzoo is correct, she may need worming. Additionally, have you given her probiotics and extra protein to help regain/speed up her recovery? Give her plain yogurt or buttermilk with chopped up boiled egg or canned beef catfood for a few days a week, this should help in her recovery. You can also add poultry nutri drench in her water or a couple of drops orally. I wouldnt give her nutri drench no more than 4 days in a row though, it can cause diarrhea. Good luck.

4. CMcgraw

CMcgraw Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2010
    I haven't wormed her. She really doesn't have any worm symptoms! Add to that... which wormer to use when there are no symptoms... which type of worm am I trying to get rid of?? I do not want to stress her out by giving her too many treatments.... she is receiving vitamins daily... I have tried every soft, protein rich treat... she is not interested. And this isn't unusual.... she wouldn't join the rest of the girls at treat time anyhow.

I guess my question is... what is the longest period of time someone has waited/cared for a chicken who then made a full recovery?? I want to give her all the time she needs without giving her extra suffering. Thank you!

5. chickenzoo

chickenzoo Emu Hugger

I would worm anyway, you don't have to see worms/parasites for them to have them. Look at people who travel to other countries, many come back with parasites they don't even know they have until they start getting sick. Use Ivomectrian applied to skin or Safeguard liquid goat wormer, or if you have paste use just a peasize drop. Wormer is one of the cheapest things to rule out first. Hate to do everything but that and she still is sick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by