Reasonable shipping costs for eggs

MTchicknman

Chirping
May 26, 2017
Tennessee
So I have a question ..... I've looked into buying eggs from a private party rather than buying chicks from a hatchery, (I thought the resulting hatch might be a better chicken from a private individual) ..... but when I found the eggs I was interested in, the individual wanted $120 for a dozen eggs + S&H. Is this normal?

To me, that seems awful expensive for a few fertilized eggs - plus S&H can be anything nowadays (just look at some of the 'bargains' on eBay and then look at the 'shipping' costs for something that weighs 6 or 8 ounces - like a CD or DVD!). I ended up buying from a hatchery this year, hoping that I will get some answers to my question before next year's flock additions ;>).

We had chickens when I was a kid, and we almost always put extra eggs under a banty - they went broody instantaneously, it seemed. Right now, we have a small flock plus the new hatchery chicks, (not counting some CornishX meat birds that will be in the freezer in a month or so), but some of the others are destined for the stew-pot as they are sub-standard - i.e.; we bought some RIR's and fully half of them turned out to be Bantams of some sort, - they're half the size of their counterparts - worthless as layers to us - and a couple of the others are some sort of Buff/Rock/Hybrid mixture, useless for breeding, but we'll probably keep them for layers!
One thing for sure, we'll never buy chicks from Tractor Supply again! I saw a pic/cartoon of Tom Hanks, and the caption was ... "Life is like buying your chicks from Tractor Supply, you never know what you'll get!" and that is so true as far as I'm concerned.

MTchicknman

Chirping
May 26, 2017
Tennessee
@ Top Rooster - to us, S&H means "Shipping and Handling" - sorry for the confusion! I tend to abbreviate as much as I can becuz I am a "hunt and peck typist"!
The breed was Cornish, NOT CornishX, we didn't want more hybrids. We just wanted to breed/hatch our own pure blood stock, which is near impossible with the CornishX.

What does it take .... 7 generations or so of back/line-breeding to return to 'almost' pure? (If they could even survive the first generation!). That's what it takes for goats, but I have no idea what it takes for chickens.

Last edited:

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
Most folks ship eggs in Priority flat-rate boxes. I'm not sure if zones are different, but mine are $13.60 for the medium box, $18.85 for the large box. $15 and $20, respectively would be reasonable to me. Cost of the eggs depends on the breed.

oops, didn't see breed White Cornish. I'm not sure what the average cost of them is.

MTchicknman

Chirping
May 26, 2017
Tennessee
WV, we recently found that we could buy Dark Cornish chicks for about $2.86 each - free ship if we bought 15!, so I was pretty sure that the price was out of reason.

I haven't found any other ad/outlet/hatchery for the White Cornish, other than CornishX, but the Dark Cornish would be just as good for us, since we aren't going to cross them with anything else! There's also a White-laced Red Cornish that is interesting-looking, but that will have to wait for next year!

Thanks

Last edited:

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
If you are having a hard time finding them, then I assume their rarity makes them expensive. I still think $100 a dozen for any breed is ridiculous, but if some are willing to pay it, there definitely will be folks willing to capitalize on it.

Cluckcluck1215

Free Ranging
5 Years
Jan 21, 2016
missing
$100 For CORNISH is crazy.

Maybe something like a Ayam Cemani, Crested Cream Legbar, Ice Cream Bar(always get a chuckle at this)Or a SWedish Flower Hen MAYBE MAYBE for a Dozen.MAYBE.

WVduckchick

🐓🦆 For the Birds! 🦆🐓
Premium Feather Member
6 Years
Feb 9, 2015
West Virginia
My Coop
My Coop
$100 For CORNISH is crazy.

Maybe something like a Ayam Cemani, Crested Cream Legbar, Ice Cream Bar(always get a chuckle at this)Or a SWedish Flower Hen MAYBE MAYBE for a Dozen.MAYBE.

All depends on the buyer. I personally would be more inclined to pay it for CLs, but never ever ever for ACs, ICBs or SFHs, because those aren't birds that i have any desire to own. It's all about supply and demand.

Top Bottom