Reasons a chicken will become egg bound?

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by Tina D, May 13, 2011.

1. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Is the size of the egg the only reason a chicken will become egg bound? Does stress have anything to do with it?

I ask because I just brought home 2 hens yesterday. One is approximately a year old, and the other approximately 5 years old. There were no eggs in the coop this morning. I understand that the 5 year old may not be much of an egg layer due to her age. I know she still laid eggs every other day or so at her previous home. Both girls still seem a little confused and nervous about their new surroundings. I'm worried that if they are stressed, and don't lay their eggs, that they will become egg bound?? Is this possible? I'm such a chicken-mama-worry-wart... heehee! But I know that being egg bound is a serious condition, so I'm terrified of it ever happening.

And as always, thanks to everyone for their patience with me, and all of my newbie questions!

2. WallTenters

WallTenters Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2010
    Sweet Home, OR
    It is possible, but just give them a few days to settle in and they'll probably start laying again on a regular basis. Would you feel like popping out babies in an unfamiliar space? [​IMG]. However, do make sure they're drinking enough water, as dehydration can lead to egg-bound-ness... is that a word?

3. Tina D

Tina D Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2010
    Dutchess County, NY
    Thank you, WallTenters!! My older lady laid an egg for us this morning, I am very proud of her!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by