Reasons for a single hen to come to a complete stop in egg laying?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Scooter&Suzie, Apr 18, 2012.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    My barred plymouth rock hen has come to a complete stop for laying eggs. It has been 2-3 weeks and I haven't gotten a single egg out of her. She will be 1 year old in June-July, so I don't think it is age. My other 3 hens (partridge plymouth rock, red sex link, and rhode island red) are still each giving me an egg a day. The weather is getting warm, and the other hens are still laying, so I don't think it is weather. I'm afraid she might be sick... My hens are pets and I would never dream of killing them, I want for them to die of natural causes - such as old age.

I have heard (note, I said heard, I don't know if it is true) that if you don't have a rooster (which I don't, anymore) a hen might become a "rooster" and stop laying eggs. She is at the top of the pecking order... But she doesn't act like a rooster at all! In fact, she tends to drift away from the other girls when I let them free range for a bit. She looks healthy - smooth legs, shiny feathers, non-pale comb. She is lighter than the other hens, but if I remember right, she has always been this way. The weight is not a big difference, just slightly. The only thing I forgot to check her for was to see if her eyes are still bright - I'll check in the morning.

Anyone know why she has stopped? I have given her 2-3 weeks, so I am not sure if she will begin laying again. If she doesn't, I'll keep her as a pet, but it would be nice to be getting four eggs a day again.

2. RedDrgn

RedDrgn Anachronistic Anomaly

May 11, 2011
    West Virginia
    My Coop
    Have you given her a thorough check for lice/mites? Sending a fecal sample (for all of them) to a vet for a check for worms would be a good idea, too. If she's found to be 100% healthy and happy, then she might just be taking a break (they do this from time to time, and for no reason that anyone can discern). If you recently got rid of the roo and the pecking order needed to be resorted, then it may well be stress related.

3. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania

I got rid of the roo before the girls started laying eggs, so it probably isn't that. I don't see any signs of mites or lice... I read this - http://www.mypetchicken.com/backyar...-signs-of-mites-or-lice-and-how-do-I-H79.aspx and it doesn't sound like my girl(s) have it. You might be right about her just taking a break - I sure hope so!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by