Reassurance on a Dominique's gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by ShelterGirl, Jul 26, 2011.

1. ShelterGirl

ShelterGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2011
    Okay I have a newer picture and putting up the old one but PLEASE help me. I am new to the breed and having difficulty trying to determine the gender. In the first posting of the picture I got many saying Dom pullet. Trying to be reassured here...on our new rescue... =/

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  2. NoseyChickens

NoseyChickens Feathers On The Ground

Aug 3, 2009
    Southern California
    Looks like a girl to me. How old?

3. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Pullet.

4. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    Not sure. Just picked the sweetheart up this afternoon. Couple of months they said. But they aren't even sure because the woman's little girl bought it for her at a flea market as a baby.

5. ArizonaDesertChicks

ArizonaDesertChicks Eggstactic for Pretty Eggs

Dec 8, 2008
    Glendale, AZ
    Quote:I agree.

6. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI

Me too.

7. ShelterGirl

Apr 3, 2011
    I'm not having much luck from all the different places I've looked on telling the genders apart. Does anyone mind explaining a bit?

8. Whitewinterwolf

Whitewinterwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2011
    Massachusetts

Me too.

Same here [​IMG]

9. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    Quote:It depends on the breed and age of the chicken. Roosters have pointed hackle feathers (around the neck)/ hens have round. Roosters have saddle feathers (feathers just above the tail bend down and drape around the tail feathers)/hens don't have those. In some breeds roosters are "hen feathered" so there is no difference in feathers between hens and roos. Roosters have bigger combs and wattles than hens. Combs and wattles redden a lot earlier on roosters, hens don't redden until just before they start to lay. But you have to remember, some breeds like leghorns all have huge combs, even hens. In some breeds and sex-links, just the color is enough to tell. So when we try and decide if a chicken is a rooster or a hen, we try to take all this into account. The best way to get better is to practice. Keep watching this section and see if you can guess before you read the replies. That's how I've done it.

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

She's darker than a male would be due to the black bars being wider than the white ones (males are the opposite), she has a dark wash down her leg fronts, her shape is female, there are no pointy, shiny saddle feathers hanging off her back, her comb is flattish and barely pink.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by