Rebal Dottie in 'The trials of Broodyhood"

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by TaraBellaBirds, Aug 4, 2014.

1. TaraBellaBirds

TaraBellaBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I would like to introduce Rebal Dottie she is a Buff Rock, 1 year old, and royal-pain-in-the-butt.

[​IMG]

Ever since she was a chick, Dottie's out again, Dottie's in the garden, Dottie's on the porch, OMG Dottie is headed for the road.....(FYI the coop and run are on the back side of our property a good 200 yards from the road AND through three fences...) Dottie is in the neighbor's yard, Dottie is at the back door Mom!!!!! [​IMG]

So as you can plainly see Dottie has always been.....arhm....problematic....arhmmm

So when Dottie went broody we thought 'well maybe this will calm her down'.
    [​IMG]

Instead of calming down Dottie turned into my Grandmother's cookie jar every time I came near [​IMG]

So we put 4 eggs under her and waited.....after two weeks she kicked out 2 eggs and we waited....at day 24 I candled and both eggs seemed full fledged quitters, [​IMG]

By this time Dottie had company and didn't seem to mind Ms. Wyandotte (never did name her....).

So I decided to give her one more shot since she seemed determined to be a mother. This time 7 eggs went under the broodies.......and we waited

And waited, at day 22 just when I was about to give up I went out to candle and....what was that......I placed Mama's back on the eggs and waited until morning.

The next morning I was greeted by my cookie jar Dottie.....who was still in her spot on the eggs while three little ones huddled nearby (one hatchling had died at hatch)....what are you doing Rebal Dottie that is not how we raise babies [​IMG]

So I placed nice little box next to the where the babies were and a few hours latter both Mama's were down with the youngsters!

This morning Mommy's and babies were doing their thing! [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    A very proud Rebel Dottie
    [​IMG]
    "This is how we climb a hay bale" I think they are a bit young for climbing lessons but who am I to judge how a Rebel raises her chicks!
    [​IMG]
    "See I told you theys would be fine"
    [​IMG]
    I think I see a bit of Rebel in this one already, Dottie you may get yours back!!!
    [​IMG]
    Priceless!!!! [​IMG]

2. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    How SWEET!!! I loved reading your story along with the photos as time went along...thanks for a special moment! [​IMG]

3. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    I didn't get pics, but she already had the babies out free-ranging this afternoon [​IMG]

I will update as I can, she really is a great, and quite fun bird! Glad I could share her [​IMG]

4. TaraBellaBirds

Jul 13, 2013
    SW Kansas
    After Dottie hatched her first batch she gave in to Winnie after the first week. I just think that the other hen was pushier about the chicks than Dottie. She imedeatle went back to her old ways......Dottie is on the portch again, Mom look Dottie walked in the house![​IMG]

So I was a bit leery letting her sit again when she went broody last month. I finally decided to give her another shot, she is just such a determined broody. And believe it or not she is a sweet girl when she broods!

Rebel Dottie is at it again. She just hatched the first of her second batch this morning!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Not sure on mother of chick but the father is a Buff Brahma. It hatched a day early so the others have not yet pipped.

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by