We need your amazing chicken photos for our 2020 Calendar! Submit your pics HERE!

Rebel chicken, bad influence, not free ranging.

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by HeatherMo, Jul 18, 2019.

1. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    Newish to chickens. This bird just started flying out of the run today and the others are following. Guess it was just a matter of time, my fence is too low. Guess I need a higher fence? Can’t free range because we have a couple egg farms near by and want to be respectful with out unvaccinated chickens. Booo

Attached Files:

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    How high is that fence, 2' or so? Depending on the breed chickens can easily clear 6, 7' feet. The height of the fence is only one thing at play. You can try attaching a more unstable fencing at the top, like snow or deer fencing, to discourage them from trying to hop out.

HeatherMo, Stiletto and ChickenCanoe like this.
  3. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    The fence in their run is 4ft. I think they were using a step ladder as a launching pad. I moved that out so that should help. If not, these are some really great ideas that I’ll try.

4. noregerts

noregerts Songster

Feb 24, 2019
    Seymour TN
    Get some bird netting and cover the entire top. You can use zip ties to secure it. It's light and cheap and will also protect your girls from hawks. 4 leggged predators though? You've got a set up for easy pickings.

5. Rammy

Rammy Crowing

Oct 20, 2008
    Tennessee
    Clip thier wings.

6. chickens really

chickens really Crazy Call Duck Momma

That fence is too low. The dog house is an excellent place to fly right over that little fence. All birds carry disease of some type so the Farm up the road could infect your flock too. Definitely you can free range your Birds on your property without feeling bad about it.

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    What's the shorter fence(the one the chicken is standing on) for?

8. MilesFluffybutt

MilesFluffybutt Songster

Nov 16, 2016
    Vermont
    Can you swap to a wooden snow fence? It's inexpensive and durable. It keeps my boys in. Also, can you give them more space or add things to the run for them to do? Hanging treats, swings, perches and piles of stuff for them to scratch around in are all good boredom busters.

9. HeatherMo

HeatherMo Songster

Jun 16, 2019
    We don’t have too much of that here and they get locked up at night. I live on a farm, open fields. I rarely see wildlife here. An occasional raccoon or cat.

10. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Free Ranging

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    My Coop
    Yes, that was the fence I thought was maybe 2' tall. I thought that was the problem and not the taller fence next to it, though that's quite low as well.

aart and HeatherMo like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: