Rebellious Duck

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by melster28, Apr 21, 2017.

1. melster28

melster28 Just Hatched

Mar 24, 2017
    I have a Pekin Duck that is 1 month old. I've had him since he was 1 day old. He was scared at first but soon I became his mommy. He would sleep on me and cuddle for hours. He still follows me and comes to me when something or someone scares him, but he doesn't want to cuddle anymore. He will lay next to me but he no longer wants to be lovey and seems more skittish around me. I spends lot of time with him every day. He get out of his little enclosure a lot and get a bath everyday sometimes a couple times a day. Plus he gets treats all the time and I let him dive for peas in the bath,which he loves. So am I doing something wrong? Why is he not so lovey anymore and pushing away from me??

2. barnababy

barnababy Out Of The Brooder

Jul 25, 2016
    Killeen TX
    It could be tons of things. If nothing else, I've learned that duck personalities can span the spectrum like anything else and they can span their own spectrums within days back and forth too.
    My indoor duck (I also have 3 in the backyard) was the cuddliest thing you could imagine. She (still) has slept in bed the me since day 2 when she refused to stay in a shoe box by the bed. And constantly she wanted to be on my lap or in my hair and napping on the couch. If I did house chores I kept her in a push tied to me until she could walk and keep up then she would want to be comforted by being held tucked under my chin.
    Now she's almost 10 months old and "her own person". She doesn't like to be ppettednd only tolerates certain areas touched...unless sleepy...or scared and sleepy, then she will stand on my lap being loved on or stands facing me and hugs for various lengths of time.
    Her dad was super scared of my girls when I adopted him adopted integrated them at about 6 weeks old. He'd nap on my lap all the time. Now he bites the cap out of me. He changes who he wants to be nice to, but is always infatuated with little kids and has never bit one. He's super protective of his girlfriends and wants to bite at or mount anything from feet to watering cans if they are nearby when he's in a mood.
    Molting and hormones play into it a lot and can change those behaviors periodically. None of them like touched when they're getting new feathers in. I hear it can be painful in molt. And if your duck is one month old, it may be a similar case.
    Just be sure to spend lots of time with the little guy to keep him tame because they can go semi feral quite quick. My girls were fixable... within reason. But I don't think my drake will ever be the same.

3. MillysMommy

MillysMommy New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    Ducks are like humans.[​IMG]They feel different each day.My 12 year old house duck(Milly) who recently passed,was a touch me not alot unless it was on her terms.She could be so loving or she would get mad for simple things that irritated her like turning on a light while she was sleeping.If i was asleep she would lay right next to me sometimes.Other times she would rather sleep at the foot of the bed.There was certain people she did not like at all especially hyper kids.When she would molt i normally just left her along to do her own thing cause i knew it hurt and she was sore.She hated baths but loved showers.One month is not really long enough to know your duck's personality,in my opinion.I just recently got a ducking & im still trying to figure him out as he is trying to figure me out as well.Plus,he is starting to get feathers in & doesn't like being touched.Give it time...You're doing great![​IMG]

4. barnababy

Jul 25, 2016
    Killeen TX
    Omg yes to everything you said. And my indoor duck is the same way. Did Molly sleep under your pillow, or lay eggs while wanting to be held, or like to cuddle feet when she was mad? Barnaby does all those things plus she likes to have tantrums and act mad and strut away, but when you fall asleep, or pretend to.. she sneaks back to snuggle in your face. She also grooms me. Usually while I'm asleep. She chews my hair over the side if the couch or chews strands off in bed if I don't wake up. Her routines change bits every few weeks, but the last several it's been waking me up to chewing all over my whole face and telling me it's time to get out if bed. Except then she'll cuddle for a nap most days afterward. Lol

5. MillysMommy

MillysMommy New Egg

Apr 21, 2017
    She had a zebra pillow pet that was only hers.She would attack anyone including the cats who dared to touch it.She really didn't lay much eggs when she did she was afraid of them lol she hated feet and didn't hesitate to bite them.She did cuddle when she thought i was asleep,many times i woke up to her face in mine.Also,she would pull my hair or shirt when she was ready to get up.She knew when my car pulled in the driveway in the mornings,i work nightshift,and if I wasn't home at my regular time she would fuss at me.[​IMG]In this picture she slid off her zebra and was to lazy to get up[​IMG][​IMG]

6. barnababy

Jul 25, 2016
    Killeen TX
    I think my indoor duck is probably far more cuddly than most. Lucky me. But I also don't work and rarely leave her. When I go places other than groceries (and for the first few months even then) I put her diaper on and she goes with me. She's great in the car and used to ride places just about daily. I trained her to stay on a cat bed on the center console of the truck until she outgrew it then she would stay on "her seat". Now depending on the vehicle she has outgrown that too and likes to sit in the back or if the seats are too slick she will curl up on longer trips in the passenger side if it's free. She's done several 4 hour road trips.
    The down side is she is so vocal. I've always talked her through all the routine of the day and she works great within the confines of a set schedule but screams at people if they mess it up and stress her out. The new puppy my husband acquired is making my life a loud nightmare at present. I can fully understand her though- from telling on dogs or kids, to wanting food, or outside, or bedtime, son on and so forth. And of course the days on end when she tries to out will ne that she only wants to live on treats. She's very spoiled and has personality that you don't see in other animals. And she's brilliant compared to the outside ducks. She can express herself to almost anyone if they stop to watch what she's telling them. And she tries to manipulate you into doing what she wants. Like demanding outside to come straight in another door where the treats are knowing that coming when called without a fight gets her a few Meal worms. Etc. She's hilarious.

7. barnababy

Jul 25, 2016
    Killeen TX
    [​IMG]
    My son just took this blurry sock sliding photo of her on my lap.
    She gives hugs and kisses. The kisses far more often and almost always on demand. Another trick I trained her to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by