Rebonding Mini Rex Rabbits

OreoH

Songster
Jul 18, 2020
Hi everyone! My rabbits Sage and Chicory are two females who are 10 months old. A few months ago they had a fight, and we took them to get spayed. Since then, they’ve both been having on and off medical issues so we haven’t really tried rebonding. However, I want to start rebonding them as soon as possible. Any tips on how to do this bonding stuff? They’re housed separately, but in one pen, right now, with space between them. This is because they have a history of trying to get through to each other. (It’s one of those “shape your own” pens out of plastic). My plan right now is to order another 2 of their pens to increase their exercise area so they don’t feel too threatened. Then I’ll use the old one to rebond? I’d really appreciate any tips! Thanks!

Why do you think the rabbits even want to rebond? In spite of what many pet rabbit owners seem to think, left to their own devices rabbits are really not all that social with each other. Most of them prefer to have their own living space. As Bunnylady has said, two or more rabbits can get along just fine. Until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.

Why do you think the rabbits even want to rebond? In spite of what many pet rabbit owners seem to think, left to their own devices rabbits are really not all that social with each other. Most of them prefer to have their own living space. As Bunnylady has said, two or more rabbits can get along just fine. Until they don't. Then it can get pretty bloody.
I think they fought to begin with because of hormones from not being spayed. While I don't have a lot of experience with rabbits, the research I did before owning rabbits told me that rabbits are quite social and prefer to live in groups? I wouldn't want them to be lonely and they got along quite well before the "teenage months". They slept and ate together, and groomed each other. I'd assumed that it meant they enjoyed each other's company. I am open to new ideas though so I'll definitely talk with the vet and do some more research. Thank you!

I think they fought to begin with because of hormones from not being spayed. While I don't have a lot of experience with rabbits, the research I did before owning rabbits told me that rabbits are quite social and prefer to live in groups? I wouldn't want them to be lonely and they got along quite well before the "teenage months". They slept and ate together, and groomed each other. I'd assumed that it meant they enjoyed each other's company. I am open to new ideas though so I'll definitely talk with the vet and do some more research. Thank you!
I don't mean to be snarky, but I don't think your source knows nearly as much about rabbits as he/she thinks they do. Some rabbits may enjoy company, but a lot of them definitely do not. On this forum if you have questions about rabbits contact bunnylady. She has a lot of experience with rabbits. She has been very helpful to me. I am sure she will help you if you ask her. As for your rabbits, even though the hormones are gone, I would not expect them to get along as well with each other now as they did when they were younger. Of course I can be wrong. You can watch them and see how it goes. They may get along just fine. Or they may not. If they do get into a tussle they may decide to do so so when you are not around to stop it. Just make sure that the shared enclosure is big enough so that they can get away from each other if need be.

Thank you so much! I agree that bonding does vary from rabbit to rabbit. I think I'll just give it my best go but in any case I'll be happy as long as they are happy and healthy. I really appreciate your input. Thanks!

Most female rabbits are territorial, spayed or not. They will most likely be happier if they have their own space. Rabbits are not herd or pack animals. People tend to apply human emotions to animals instead of taking the time to understand the animal's natural behavior. House them near each other if you want, but don't put them in the same pen.

Thank you so much! You've definitely convinced me to do a bit more research. I really appreciate all the opinions!

Back
Top Bottom