Rebuilding an incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by crj, Dec 5, 2011.

1. crj

crj Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    I am not sure where I should post this question. I have a old cabinet incubator my beloved husband wanted to rebuild. Since he is no longer with me I thought I might give it a go. If I put up pictures of this incubator is there someone here that can walk me through the rebuilding process? I would love to get it up and running. Thanks.

2. Chinchilla2

Chinchilla2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Red Rock
    Go ahead and post them. I am certain someone here will recognize the model and should be able to help out.

3. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    I am rebuilding one too. I have never done it before, so I took one side off. Then I am going to take pictures of how it all goes together. I am going to build a new cabinet and then install the parts. We can be buddies! Deb

4. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Quote:That sounds like a plan. My late husband had taken the insulation from the outside off. It wasn't in very good shape. It seems to be home made but rather well done for the most part. Legs are shaky but I can fix that. I just don't know anything about the guts of the project. The trays are good but I have to make a new door. I will take a picture of the top when I get a chance and maybe someone who is familiar with something like this can give us a hand. I can do a good job of building things I'm just a wus when it comes to electric stuff.

I think it would be fun and challenging to do this. I'd like to work with someone too.

5. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Chinchilla2 and Hot2Pot I took pictures of the incubator tonight. I'm hoping someone can help me out. I do understand the basics which I'm sure is a plus. I've never did anything like this before. Here are the pictures.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Ok, I'm not sure what the pans are for but my guess would be water for humidity. The piece of wood with the wire I'm guessing would go behind the pullout shelves/drawers. I took a picture of it looking down behind the fan. I will have to make a door for the unit because I didn't see one. A glass door would be cool.

So, any takers on helping me get this baby going?

6. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    I agree with your assessment. Looks like a neat project. Please keep us posted on your progress. I'm very interested. Good luck... [​IMG]

7. Hot2Pot

Hot2Pot Fox Hollow Rabbitry

Feb 1, 2010
    West TN
    Did you plug it in to see if it works? How are you going to turn the eggs? I have been feeling lousy so I didn't get pics yet. The thing weighs a ton and the garage is a mess:rolleyes: Plus it keeps raining and we are forecast snow tomorrow . I am doing good just to get the animals fed and watered . I have to build a whole new cabinet for mine.

8. Syharrison

Syharrison Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    very complex for your first proper go lol. personally i'd start smaller but if you can get it up and running and check temperatures are steady for a few days you'd be okay? guessing its manual turn too? p.s metal trays look like they're for water

Last edited: Dec 7, 2011
  9. h4ppy-chris

h4ppy-chris Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 3, 2011
    burnley, UK
    crj PLEASE DO NOT TOUCH anything inside where the fan is when turned on/pluged in! that curly wire will be live and you will get a shock from it.
    i would change it to light bulbs for a heat, if something goes wrong with that stat that curly wire will heat up to red and sag and touch the wood at the bottom.
    big fire risk!!! stay safe hun [​IMG]

10. crj

Dec 17, 2009
    Rocky Point, NC
    Sorry you aren't feeling well Hot2Pot. From what I gather people are starting to feel lousy lately. I plan on staying away from any cooties if at all possible. I hope your weather gets better too. A friend in Ohio is having a lot of rainy weather and it's getting cold there too. Suppose to be cold here tomorrow. We've been luck here in Southeastern, NC with unusually nice weather.

No, I didn't try plugging it in. Looking at everything I don't think I want too. Yes, I know about the coiled wires being hot. First think I thought of when I saw them! I have an enormous amount of respect for electricity. I would actually like to replace everything mostly for safety reasons. I would have to see if the fan works though. If that works I would keep that for sure. With my luck I may need a new one. I know those round ceramic things are for the electric wire. They are in good shape. I don't know what the yellow round thing is or what it does. A red light is under it and an "L" shape piece of metal sticks out to the outside of the cabinet. I think I can do this if I have the right person(s) to help me step by step.

The metal handles that stick out of the drawers move the bottom of the tray in order for the eggs to turn. Pulling the metal handle towards you moves the base towards you as well and visa versa. Sorry for the blurry picture. If needed I can take another. Just let me know. I wish I knew what kind of door was on the front of it.

What do you think folks??? Can we do this???

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by