Rebuilding Run

MrLeeHo

Songster
May 28, 2020
NC
Unfortunate event this fall, a family of racoons climbed up my run fence, amazingly removed the wire "roof", and proceeded to greedily kill all 4 of my chickens without even having a meal out of them. So now that spring is approaching, I am rebuilding. Previous run was simply 1/4 wire, T posts, and chicken wire "roof". This time around I plan to build them an enclosed, roofed, screened in porch of sorts. My plan is 12ftx6ft with 4x4's running along the ground and an apron under the 4x4s. Then frame the walls to attach to the 4x4's. Screen the walls with 1/4 welded wire. I plan to have one side 8 ft tall with a screen door reinforced with 1/4 wire and locked with a gate lock. The other side will be 6 ft tall. Tin roof slats running along the top from the tall side to the short side. Also planning to run 2x4 roosts across the width of the run of various heights (for the birds and also to reinforce the structure).

I am looking for any advice, "watch-outs", or risks to this loose plan prior to getting started. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks as always!
Brad

Hi Brad.
You might want to reconsider running the roosts across the width of the run. It will be a big obstacle course for you when you need to get to the far side of it and to do any litter maintenance in the run.
This is my run (12'x28') and it would suit your needs on a scaled down size.
2CAA8E144D14_1608062597830.png

Note the branch perches at the back. I screwed two shorter lengths into the framing at the back of the run and attached a longer length on top of the two shorter lengths. I've installed braces along the front wall for a fourth perch but never had time to find a suitable branch to attach to them.
If you look at that back wall you will see two corner braces on the lower corners.
Here you can see the cross bracing on the front wall to prevent racking.
run framing.jpg

I have a roofed run and agree with what has been said: use 1/2" hardware cloth it is less flimsy because you can get a heavier gauge; put the roosts at the end or across corners so you don't have to jump over them when you go inside; and run a hot wire (train the dogs to stay away).
The only thing I would add is that even though blowing rain and drifting snow comes in through the sides it stays very dry under the roof. In theory I do deep litter method directly on the ground but it only gets to compostable levels of dampness at the very edges and only if there has been rain. Stuff breaks down but it isn't like a nice damp compost heap. In the summer I actually sprinkled it down a bit but don't do that in winter because it will just turn to ice.

Just thought i would revisit this because i started work last weekend. I feel pretty good about the progress. I went with the 1/4 HWC because already had it orders but i think i have enough to double up the bottom 4ft (will do that once the rest of the construction is complete).
footprint.jpg
back wall.jpg
2 walls.jpg

Back
Top Bottom