1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recalibrating my hygrometer

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dustponds10, Feb 4, 2012.

1. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    Well, I forgot, its a half cup of salt with a little bit of water to make the salt the consistency of wet sand but what are the numbers and the exact measurments to recalibrate to see how far off my hygrometer is? Thanks in advance

2. phoenix912

phoenix912 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2012
    Indiana
    I dont remember for sure. Its like 1/4th cup of water to 2/3rds cup of salt. Wait 8-12 hours. It should read at 75%. Ive read on a few sites you dont have to use that much salt. It just says u need more salt then water.

3. dustponds10

dustponds10 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2010
    Rigby, Id
    ok thanks
    If anyone else can remember the exact thing it would be awesome. Thanks for the help above

4. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Google it or search BYC.I use 1/2 cup salt in cup add enough water to make it like wet sand
    .Put cup in 1 gal Zip lock along with Hygrometer .Seal and set aside in a way that you can read without opening for 7 to 12 hours .Reading should be 75 RH..Hygrometers generally have no way to adjust.So if its off over 10 off ( I get another ) less than I just allow for it...cva34

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by