Reccommend a reasonable starter incubaters..

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Chickens14, Jan 19, 2010.

1. Chickens14

Chickens14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Ulster County NY
    Hello!
    Can anyone help me and reccommend an incubator? This will be my first time incubating and hopes to start off right:)

2. Chicken Cluck

Chicken Cluck Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2008
  3. ChanceRider

ChanceRider Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    Somerset, CA
    I have 2 GQF cabinet incubators and 2 GQF cabinet hatchers, which are GREAT. But, for smaller hatches I still rely on my Brinsea ECO 20 with autoturn cradle. In fact, I have 13 of my turkey eggs in there now. Stable temps and humidity, easy to clean, durable plastic (as opposed to styrofoam), and it takes little space.

Good luck with whatever incubator you choose... it's SO much fun to hatch chicks!

4. They Call Me Pete

They Call Me Pete Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    CT
    Look at Randall Burkey Company also. In the learning center under chicken supplies. I'm getting mine from them. Tractor Supply has LG's but no fans in them. Although you can hatch w/out the fan I'd get one with a fan if possible.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2010
  5. MagsC

MagsC Queen Of Clueless

Jul 27, 2008
    Minnesota
    My favorite incubator is a little Lyons TX6, its not complicated and works well.

6. keesmom

keesmom Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    MA
    I posted this in the Springfield thread too.

How much do you want to spend and how many eggs do you want to hatch at once?

I have Brinsea ECO 20s. I like them but their capacity is rather small compared to say a Hovabator (20-24 for a Brinsea compared to 42 for a Hovabator). I think a Brinsea is easier to clean than a Hovabator and the temperature is easier to maintain. Price is probably the same for both.
    I know you can get a bator, turner with shipping for $186 right now, and I would expect a Hovabator with turner (and shipping) to be about the same. It all depends on what you're looking for.

7. Eagle2026

Eagle2026 HIGH FLYER

Mar 10, 2009
    Snohomish, WA.
    Which ever one you get you definitely want one that has a FAN and an EGG TURNER!!!!
    TRUST ME!!!
    Mike
    [​IMG]

8. hcammack

hcammack Overrun With Chickens

Oct 5, 2007
    Vermont
    I have an LG and a hova bator with turner both are pretty good but I would defently recomend the Hovabator for someone starting out. I got the LG as a hatcher and its working alright I am also getting a brinsea this week so we will see how I feel about all of them. I am probably selling the LG because I just need the Brinsea and Hova. I would suggest brinsea or a hovabator.

Henry

9. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    I recommend the Turn-X. Ridiculously expensive but I doubt there's a better 'bator around. I love mine.

10. Chickens14

Chickens14 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2009
    Ulster County NY
    Thankyou Everyone! I will be checking them out.... I can do the $185.00 again thankyou I just wanted to be sure before I invest:)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by