Received 4 new chicks, how many are roosters?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by Bitter Farm, Feb 25, 2013.

1. Bitter Farm

Bitter Farm Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2013
    I acquired a flock this last week, including 7 hens, 1 rooster and 4 chicks that are about 9 weeks old. I am pretty sure I have 3 of a kind, but I'm not sure if they are boys or girls. I am hoping girls but they have a larger comb than the 4th one. I was told the chicks are Amerucana, but I think they are just EE's. What is the best way to tell, can you help. My threesome all have red heads with a larger comb, the 4th has black feathers on its head with a very small comb. The black is at the bottom of the picture.
    [​IMG]

Here is a better view of the comb on one of the reds, they are all about the same.
    [​IMG]

2. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    I would guess all pullets, but I am new to this. They look like my EEs which turned out to be pullets. The one in the lower right in the top picture's comb looks a little different than the others though it might just be the angle of its head.

3. goldfinches

goldfinches Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Maryland
    Usually, with EE's, the quickest way to tell is coloring. Males will be much brighter and flashier than females. Then, you can tell by the comb and waddles being large and red.

Going by the legs and feather coloring on your birds, I agree they're EE's.

4. hdowden

hdowden Overrun With Chickens

Aug 14, 2011
    louisiana
    ee pullets

5. Irishgirl

Irishgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2013
    Middle Earth
    Pick them up by the scruff of the neck. If they kick for longer than a few seconds: Rooster. If they stop struggling after a few seconds: Hen. Also, your pullets may actually be Amerucanas. One of the breed characteristics is blue feet. I could be wrong. Hope this is useful!

Last edited: Feb 25, 2013
  6. Americana hens!

7. my sunwolf

my sunwolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Agree with hdowden, they're Easter Egger pullets.

8. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    Easter egger pullets. I agree, the color is the giveaway for both gender and breed (or lack thereof).

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by