1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Received 5 silkie chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sherrybwc, Jan 18, 2010.

1. sherrybwc

sherrybwc Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2009
    Alabama
    I found five 2wk old silkies on craigslist this morning (plus feeders/waterers and food) for free and picked them up when I got off work this evening.

As I was completely unprepared for their arrival, here is a little snapshot of my evening...

1) Left work at 4:00PM. Drove 30 miles (one way) to pick up chicks

2) Dropped chicks at home with DH

3) Made a mad dash to Home Depot (another 20 miles one way) to buy materials to build SOMETHING that would keep my cats away from the chicks. Ended up getting a piece of plywood, hardware cloth, 1x2's for framing, a pack of 60W lightbulbs, and two plug-in light sockets so I could make a quick drop light (for heat) using an extension cord

4) Slapped together a pen with materials above (making sure it's cat-proof!) and lined the bottom with newspaper until I can get to Tractor Supply tomorrow for shavings

5) Placed chicks in the pen at 9:45PM along with food and water (edited to add "and water"...lol!)

6) Finally managed to eat supper around 10:15PM.

Needless to say, I'm beat!

Anyway, as it has been a LONG time since I've been around chicks, am I on the right track here? I'm using only one lightbulb suspended about 8 - 10" above one corner of the pen. They sort of gravitate towards it, but not so much as to make me think they're cold. I also draped an old lightweight tablecloth over it to keep out drafts and sort of shield them from the activity around them, KWIM?

I guess I'm basically looking for assurance that I'm not going to get up in the morning to ailing (or worse) chicks.

I'd appreciate your thoughts.

Thanks,

Sherry

Last edited: Jan 18, 2010
  2. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Sounds good so far. Are they up where the cats can't get to them because I don't think the tablecloth will hold them out.

3. jerrys59

jerrys59 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Deatsville,Al
    sometime free chicks get expensive dont they,congrats on the silkies, in what part of bama are you. hope hull here

4. schmije

schmije Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2008
    Peoria, IL
    It sounds like you've done what you can for now. You protected them from your other animals and drafts. A thermometer would be good, so you can be sure that they're at the right temperature. About 80-85 degrees should be good for 2 weeks old. They'll go where the temperature is right for them. I assume you gave them water - I didn't see that in your post.

5. sherrybwc

Jul 4, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:The pen is made from plywood and hardware cloth (wire). I simply draped a tablecloth across the pen to keep them calm.

Quote:Ha! I was thinking the same thing as I forked over the $53 bucks at Home Depot...not very "free" at all!

I'm in Phenix City...we're not far apart at all!

6. sherrybwc

Jul 4, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:I did.

I also edited my post to say "and water".

Tired...

7. jerrys59

jerrys59 Out Of The Brooder

May 6, 2009
    Deatsville,Al
    I've started using a large dog crate with chicken wire around it to start my young chicks til they feather good.

8. paddock36

paddock36 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2008
    Ocala, Florida
    Now, one thing left to do. [​IMG] Where's the pictures?

9. huckleberryfarm

huckleberryfarm Chickenista

Jan 7, 2010
    Greenwood, SC
    I'm getting my first chicks ever tomorrow. 10 silkies. Maybe we can learn together! I've spent close to $3000 between the coops, books, brooders, and other stuff. But no one tell my husband! All those receipts are hidden far, far away!

10. crazy_4_chickens

crazy_4_chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2010
    Alberta
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by