Received my box of dead chicks today :(

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by alogue5173, Feb 7, 2013.

1. alogue5173

alogue5173 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    The post office called this morning and said my chicks had arrived. I ordered them Tuesday (today is Thursday). When I got to the post office the postmaster handed me the box looking sad. "It's not good" she said. I took the chicks home and out of the 25 chicks I ordered and the two freebies I had three chicks still alive and those three didn't look great and I am afraid they won't make it. They were only in transit for two days...I ordered Tues and had em Thursday. Is it just a really bad time of year to order chicks? Has anyone else had any luck ordering chicks this time of year?
    On an up note I ordered the Leanna's Adopt Me Bargain. Beautiful assortment of chicks had they lived. Pretty good selection...I would have had a few silkies, an EE, a couple Polish, cochins and several other breeds. No two chicks looked alike. Would have loved to have gotten these alive!!!

2. Poultrybonkers

Poultrybonkers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 22, 2011
    Its a bad time of year and the late bloomers could of been already weak.

1 person likes this.
  3. SamanthaBrooke

SamanthaBrooke Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Well, I am in GA too, I ordered mine from Ideal Poultry, they shipped Tuesday night from Texas and got here at 6 AM and all 30 are alive an healthy, I would call that hatchery and pitch a fit, they shouldn't be dead...Where did you get them from? Good thing about Texas is it is already in the 70-80's and our weather in Georgia hasn't been bad.

I'm very very sorry, I was a nervous, upset stomach mess last night, I was very happy my post master called me at 6 am to get them rather then waiting another 3 hours when retail opened.

I hope the hatchery makes it right!!

4. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    I ordered from Meyer. I have an order in for next week for Rainbow layers, but I am thinking about cancelling it. I certainly don't want another box of dead chicks. I'm thinking it was just too cold where they were shipped from (Ohio). Glad yours arrived ok

5. nova022

nova022 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 3, 2012
    You are probably right about it being too cold in Ohio. I would wait at least another month before ordering anything from up north. Maybe the Texas hatchery would work for you or something closer to you. I am so sorry that you had such a horrible experience.

6. red golden

red golden Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2012
    roxboro nc
    I might be wrong but you would think a hatchery would know how to ship chicks in colder weather. I would also call them if you got them from a hatchery. I understand it was a risk but the packaging might could have been done differn't ie: heat pack etc. Also them being doa they might reship or help you someway.

7. SamanthaBrooke

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Oh, I'm so sorry, it is really terrible and depressing, I see that Ohio's weather is in the low-mid 30's during the day and teens-20's at night so I would say it was probably the cold weather!

I would cancel my order as well since their weather is not so nice right now, but get your money back for all the dead babes you received today, sorry for your loss! [​IMG]

8. RattyRoach

RattyRoach New Egg

Feb 7, 2013
    Bloomington, IN
    My 17 chicks from Cackle were dead as well. The Midwest is super chilly compared to down south, my replacements aren't coming until April 1st because of this.

9. alogue5173

Sep 11, 2012
    Harrison, Georgia
    Several people have recommended Ideal, however every breed I choose says it is sold out til April or May. I don't know how people are ordering right now. The only thing that seems to be available is the males.

10. SamanthaBrooke

Jul 28, 2011
    Jefferson, GA
    Well, I ordered Bantams, they seems to always have the bantams because they aren't super egg producers, I want mine for breeding and showing eventually.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by