Received my incubator from customincubators.com!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Shayna, Jan 29, 2012.

1. Shayna

Shayna I [IMG]emojione/assets/png/2665.png?v=2.2.7[/IMG]

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    WARNING: AS OF FEBRUARY-MARCH 2012, THERE MAY BE PROBLEMS WITH RECEIVING YOUR CUSTOM INCUBATOR OR GETTING AN ORDER STATUS, SO USE CAUTION IF CONSIDERING PURCHASE! I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THEM.

This thread is started for the review of my new incubator from Custom Incubators, as promised from discussion in another thread regarding a delay in receiving these incubators. My intent is to leave a fair and honest review to help anyone else who is considering a new incubator.

After speaking with the new owner, my incubator was shipped on Monday and arrived Friday. It did not come with instructions, but it was very easy to figure out and get running. It appeared there may have a minor scuff on the top from shipping, and a slightly bent knob on top to adjust temperature, but overall it arrived well. See pictures below.

I have been using the Little Giant still air model with pc fans added it, and after pulling my hair out for months dealing with adjusting the temperature causing big temp swings, I was happy to see how this one worked. It took me about 30 minutes to get it to temperature, and it held there very well. I like how fast the temperature recovers when I open the door. I have added some water and found the humidity to be easy to control also. I am eager to put eggs in and give it a try! I think it will work a lot better than the LGs! It is freshly painted so it smells of paint fumes. I'm going to let it air out a bit before placing eggs in it, but it's been functioning very well over the last 2 days. I won't say that it beats the higher priced cabinet incubators, but it should work well for it's intended purpose, looks a lot better than the styro incubators, and is a good value for the price in my opinion.

I do notice that the bottom stays a couple degrees below the top and middle temperature, but I've heard this is common with cabinet incubators and will use the bottom for hatched chicks to fluff. I'll update this after fully test it with eggs. If you've received your Custom Incubator, feel free to put your experience here too!

Pictures: (I ordered the redwood stain color)
    Front picture taken shortly after plugging in, before set temp was reached.
    [​IMG]

These are the side latches that close it.
    [​IMG]

The shelves.
    [​IMG]

Hatch drawer.
    [​IMG]

Light bulbs.
    [​IMG]

Temperature adjustment knob. (I added stickers)
    [​IMG]

The very powerful fan. (with temperature wafer to front left)
    [​IMG]

Window opening at top. (this part slides to open and allow fresh air in and can be used to add water)
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2012
  2. perchie.girl

perchie.girl Desert Dweller Premium Member

Looks nice. Are you going to turn the eggs by hand?

[​IMG] [​IMG]

deb

3. mlm Mike

mlm Mike Sunna and Mani

Aug 14, 2010
    Hardy Township, OH
    That's really nice. Let us know how the first hatch goes.

4. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Deb: Nope, I don't have to turn by hand... One of the reasons I chose this incubator is because the LG/ Hovabator size turners I have will both fit in this incubator. [​IMG]

mlmddh: I will certainly update the thread when I get eggs in it. I figure if I can hatch in LGs successfully, I can hatch in anything! I'm excepting this to be a lot easier.

5. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    Not only will I be curious to see how well your first hatch turns out, but I am curious to know how much you spent (cost & shipping) for this 'bator.

I'm glad to hear you've had good luck hatching in an LG, as I currently have some precious paint eggs in mine. :)

6. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest

They are currently $275 with free shipping on the customincubators.com website. When I ordered mine, I was able to get it for just bit less.

Yes, I've hatched quite a few paints in my LGs, but not without a lot of stress each time. I monitor my incubator several times a day to make sure that the temperature is ok. I also have to add water to keep the humidity up from 10%, but when the water evaporates the temp spikes, and when I add water, the temp drops. These aren't quick temp changes either. I think my old house is a lot of my issue, because it isn't exactly the most efficient in heating either. If you keep an eye on your bator, I think your hatch will go just fine! [​IMG]Good luck! I absolutely love paints!

7. bikerchic

bikerchic Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 22, 2011
    Virginia
    Yiippeee! Its here! :D

8. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    You go girl and keep us posted.. Think this is on my Birthday list.. oh that's right have to get my own birthday present.. ok that will work.. lol. Looks really nice.

9. SherrieT

SherrieT Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2007
    Barrington, RI
    Has everybody either received refunds or incubators by now? I will probably be updating incubator when I move and this would appear to be an option but only if there are no further customer complaints.

Nice that the Hova Bator egg turners fit in it.

Hope to see pics of your first hatch soon.

10. Shayna

Aug 2, 2011
    Midwest
    Haha, I buy my own birthday presents too - even when I receive presents! [​IMG]
    I think I'm going to like this. I'll keep you posted.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by