Received the baby chicks today, but having a couple problems!

Brahmamama4

In the Brooder
9 Years
Apr 18, 2010
Washington
Got the call at 6:30 this morning from the PO telling me the chicks were here and I could hear them in the background peeping madly. I got them home and have 8 packing peanut Barred Rocks and 7 Assorted Cochin Pullets. One of the Cochins is very wobbly on her feet and has backed herself into a corner every time I try to move her to get food or water. Most are drinking, but all of them aren't eating super well. Any suggestions as far as how to help with their appetite or getting them to eat? They are drinking sugar water right now. One of the packing peanuts is missing an eye and has a bad crossbeak so I'm taking him to work with me (I work at a vet office) to be put to sleep. I don't have the heart to cull it myself
hit.gif
Hoping the rest make it as they are all sooooo cute! Will post pictures later, but right now I would love your input!

I got 23 bantams and BO's about a week ago thru the mail. The first morning, I dipped each beak in the water and sat the chick beside it and let them orient themselves. I introduced them individually spending a few minutes with each chick. After everyone was in the brooder, I sat their crumbles in and placed a couple of chicks beside it. They pecked at it and moved away. I left them alone and just watched and they immediately settled into a pile under the light. I didn't bother them for about 5 hours and when I returned they all were up, eating, drinking, chirping and moving around. I think maybe you should just let yours rest for a little while. Mine all acted so sleepy!

i got my first ever babies mon morn. they spent the better part of the day 'recouperating'. they slept alot & didn't move around much. i put a marble in the water because i felt they weren't drinking enough. i made sure the water was warm and had sugar in it. the marble made a really big difference. they didn't pay the feed in the tray much attention, but when i sprinkled a little on the floor (like sprinkling salt). they really reacted to that & ate that well.
best of luck to you. sorry you had one that had to be put down right at the start. sure hope the rest do great.

They'll all be in step with each other soon enough!

So, do I understand correctly that a hatchery 'gave' you a one-eyed crossbeaked chick? That thought is, for some reason, mildly disturbing to me.

Here's some pictures! They are doing a bit better now! I went in and checked and they are all pecking at the ground. The couple that weren't doing very well were even drinking and walking around!
fl.gif
Now for some long awaited pictures! Any ideas on what colors they will be? The only ones I know for sure are the ones that will be white. I ordered an assortment so who knows. These ones are the 3 I'm not sure of as far as coloring.

This last one is my favorite!!! She looks like a penguin to me
gig.gif

I had a similar problem today. I picked up an order of 37 chicks from the post office this morning (ordered from Ideal) and by the time I got them in the brooder 36 were still alive. An hour later one more chick died. This evening two are just laying under the heat lamp and letting the others step on them. They don't look so good. Are they still feeling the effects of transit or do I have a big problem? Are they just going to continue to die on me?
barnie.gif

Back
Top Bottom