Received the baby chicks today, but having a couple problems!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Brahmamama4, Feb 10, 2012.

1. Brahmamama4

Brahmamama4 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    Got the call at 6:30 this morning from the PO telling me the chicks were here and I could hear them in the background peeping madly. I got them home and have 8 packing peanut Barred Rocks and 7 Assorted Cochin Pullets. One of the Cochins is very wobbly on her feet and has backed herself into a corner every time I try to move her to get food or water. Most are drinking, but all of them aren't eating super well. Any suggestions as far as how to help with their appetite or getting them to eat? They are drinking sugar water right now. One of the packing peanuts is missing an eye and has a bad crossbeak so I'm taking him to work with me (I work at a vet office) to be put to sleep. I don't have the heart to cull it myself [​IMG] Hoping the rest make it as they are all sooooo cute! Will post pictures later, but right now I would love your input!

2. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    How long were they in transit?

3. Brahmamama4

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    They hatched on Wednesday and I got them this morning.

4. justacouplemorechicks

justacouplemorechicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 21, 2011
    Kentucky
    I got 23 bantams and BO's about a week ago thru the mail. The first morning, I dipped each beak in the water and sat the chick beside it and let them orient themselves. I introduced them individually spending a few minutes with each chick. After everyone was in the brooder, I sat their crumbles in and placed a couple of chicks beside it. They pecked at it and moved away. I left them alone and just watched and they immediately settled into a pile under the light. I didn't bother them for about 5 hours and when I returned they all were up, eating, drinking, chirping and moving around. I think maybe you should just let yours rest for a little while. Mine all acted so sleepy!

1 person likes this.
  5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    No worries about them not being hungry yet, then. The yolk sac is supposed to sustain them for several days and they need water before they need food. I suspect they are right on track.

6. bj taylor

bj taylor Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 28, 2011
    North Central Texas
    i got my first ever babies mon morn. they spent the better part of the day 'recouperating'. they slept alot & didn't move around much. i put a marble in the water because i felt they weren't drinking enough. i made sure the water was warm and had sugar in it. the marble made a really big difference. they didn't pay the feed in the tray much attention, but when i sprinkled a little on the floor (like sprinkling salt). they really reacted to that & ate that well.
    best of luck to you. sorry you had one that had to be put down right at the start. sure hope the rest do great.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    They'll all be in step with each other soon enough!

So, do I understand correctly that a hatchery 'gave' you a one-eyed crossbeaked chick? That thought is, for some reason, mildly disturbing to me.

8. Brahmamama4

Apr 18, 2010
    Washington
    Here's some pictures! They are doing a bit better now! I went in and checked and they are all pecking at the ground. The couple that weren't doing very well were even drinking and walking around! [​IMG] Now for some long awaited pictures! Any ideas on what colors they will be? The only ones I know for sure are the ones that will be white. I ordered an assortment so who knows. These ones are the 3 I'm not sure of as far as coloring.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    This last one is my favorite!!! She looks like a penguin to me [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. BlazeJester

BlazeJester Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2011
    Midway, GA
    Last picture chick should be black - that's a pretty standard fuzz pattern for black birds.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2012
  10. linkindna

linkindna Out Of The Brooder

Mar 4, 2009
    Everett, WA
    I had a similar problem today. I picked up an order of 37 chicks from the post office this morning (ordered from Ideal) and by the time I got them in the brooder 36 were still alive. An hour later one more chick died. This evening two are just laying under the heat lamp and letting the others step on them. They don't look so good. Are they still feeling the effects of transit or do I have a big problem? Are they just going to continue to die on me? [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by