Receiving Baby Chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jgaepi, Dec 8, 2011.

1. jgaepi

jgaepi Out Of The Brooder

Feb 25, 2011
    davis, ca
    I am anticipating the arrival of my baby chicks tomorrow from Healthy Chicks and More. Typically when they arrive in town, what does the Post Office do with them? Do they call me for a pick up? Do they attempt delivery? What happens if it is getting late in the day and I don't want the birds to be in the box for a third day and I haven't heard from USPS?

The hatchery did not spend the extra $1.50 for tracking.

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Call your post office and provide your phone number, saying you've got live chicks coming. Ask them to call you so you can come pick them up.

Expect an early phone call, too!

3. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    My chicks were hatched on a Wednesday in Iowa and about 6 a.m. on Friday morning in Alabama, the post office called saying they had a box of chicks in that were making a racket. I'm assuming the hatchery (Welp Hatchery) had placed my phone number on the package because I never had called the P.O. to tell them. I had no idea they would get there that early - I guess they came in sometime during the night.[​IMG]

4. myra52

myra52 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2011
    My friend gave me some baby chicks, and they are so lovely...[​IMG]

5. ScottyHOMEy

ScottyHOMEy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2011
    Waldo County, Maine
    Quote:The day's mail generally arrives at a local post office in one or more drop-offs during the night or early morning. That's to provide the time needed for it to be sorted before the carriers head out onto the road to deliver it. In offices where there are several people required to get things sorted, it's not unusual for them to clock in at 6 or so in the morning. That would explain your early call.

The hatcheries and the postal service work well together. There's a reason they print your phone number on the mailing label. That would give your local office the ability to call and offer you the option of picking them up early, if you hadn't already called ahead to ask them to.

But it gets better. The area distribution centers (the mail factories that send the trucks out to the local offices) operate pretty much around the clock and over weekends. It's not at all uncommon, if you are within 50 miles or so of them, to get a call (again -- that phone number on the label) On a Sunday from that facility to let you know where they are and offer the opportunity to pick your birds up a day earlier than waiting for them to be delivered on a Monday.

They handle so much mail that nearly everyone has some kind of horror story to tell about their mail at one time or another, so they've become something of a whipping boy. But there is a culture in the postal service of taking care of live poultry and bees.

6. SouthernBYChickens

SouthernBYChickens Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 7, 2011
    Alabama
    Oh please don't think I was complaining about the P.O. calling so early. I fully understood it and was proud they did. I had to work that day and was not going to be able to leave and come back home to get them if they had called later in the day. Their early call allowed me to arrange for pickup of them before lunch that day so the chicks could get out of the cramped up box (I understand - for heat). I was very pleased with the delivery of the chicks.

7. SC-ChickMom

SC-ChickMom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 21, 2011
    Lexington
    Could be worse: The PO called me at 3am to tell me the chicks were here. The guy must have been a chicken owner because he sounded pure giddy to leave that message [​IMG]

8. S.L.Swope

S.L.Swope Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    San Antonio
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 9, 2011
  9. montyhp

montyhp Out Of The Brooder

Dec 4, 2008
    South Texas
    I got my shipment of 25 this morning. I was called at 0530 and was at the PO by 0545. The lady said they are getting a lot of chicks through right now (there were two boxes there this morning). I commented that she should be wearing earplugs with all the cheeping.

It must be busy because ideal had a special the last couple of weeks. In South Texas, winter is about the best time to get chicks (it is a lot easier to keep them warm then it is to keep them cool).

Montyhp
    So TX

10. johnson215

johnson215 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 7, 2011
    bunnlevel, nc
    the post office always calls me early in the morning as soon as the chicks get there.. the hatchery will have your number on the shipment ..you don't have to wait until they open i just go to the back door and sign for them,,, and have my car already warm for them because they probably will be cold and also ready to eat!!! good luck and enjoy: [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by