Recent Bobcat (pic)

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Capvin, Sep 19, 2011.

1. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    [​IMG]

We have numerous bobcats in our area but becuase we have a very secure run and coop AND mainly because we have the perimeter surrounded by a five strand electric fence, we have only had visitors, but no intruders. That goes the same for the bears who have visited a couple of times, gotten jolted, and now stay clear.

2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    Nice picture!

Boy, he is alot slimmer and sleaker than the ones I have seen in Northern Wisconsin.
    Probably has something to do with the cold, snowy winters we have up there.
    And, the fact that I have only seen them in the heart of winter when they have their heavy coats on!

3. chicmom

chicmom Dances with Chickens

Feb 24, 2009
    Strasburg Ohio
    They are truly awesome......(Except when they kill our chickens or pets...)

4. breezy

breezy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 7, 2009
    Sand Coulee MT
    Quote:I agree. First thing I noticed is how small his feet are. Here in Colorado they have bigger feet and seem stockier even in summer. Cool how animals adapt to the environment they live in isnt it? Bobcats are neat looking provided they stay out of the coop

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Looks like he could do some serious damage! We have then thick here in Kansas but I've been lucky so far.

6. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Quote:I agree. First thing I noticed is how small his feet are. Here in Colorado they have bigger feet and seem stockier even in summer. Cool how animals adapt to the environment they live in isnt it? Bobcats are neat looking provided they stay out of the coop

I was thinking the same thing Breezy. I see them here but they stay away because I have 4 dogs. My neighbors Husky has treed them. I actually like seeing them and I have seen a mountain lion on our property as well. I have a secure coop and my cats are locked in the barn at night.

This is a Beautiful Picture!

7. Parson's Wife

Parson's Wife Blessed Abundantly

Jan 22, 2008
    Arkansas
    [​IMG] Great pic! I'm assuming you used a game cam?

8. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    [​IMG]

The one posted in the first post was from last night after going thorugh the summer. We have an overabundance of rabbits and cotton rats so they have plenty of easy pickings. The pic posted here is from a few months ago. Different cat but a bit more stocky, but not much. I have seen many bobcat but have not had a bit of trouble from them with our chickens. I like having them around and would never want to shoot any of them. And, yes, we get the pictures from a game cam that we have on a tree on a small trail that is about 15 yards behind the chicken coop.

9. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I guess ours have to ahve built-in snowshoes! [​IMG]

10. NanaLantana

NanaLantana Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 7, 2011
    Lantana, Florida
    wow, lovely photos, lovely creature.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by