recently deceased hen :( are the eggs safe?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by magdalenastar, Jun 2, 2011.

1. magdalenastar

magdalenastar New Egg

Jun 2, 2011
    I am so heart broken. I woke up this morning to find my 3 year old barred-rock hen (Cleopatra)... dead. I have only had my chickens for less than a year, so I'm new at this, but I totally flubbed this first crisis.
    I had a total of 4 birds (3 now). My other barred rock, Desdemona, doesn't lay. The others have always given me really nice eggs. So when someone started laying large, cracked, misshapen eggs that I didn't recognize, I assumed it was her. I researched the problem and came to the conclusion that avian bronchitis was to blame. I watched my flock, saw none of the signs, and then assumed that she must have had it in her younger days and it had permanently affected her laying.
    Then someone started laying yellow goo which seemed like pure yolk. I tried researching the symptom. I couldn't really find anything (probably because I was googling "yellow goo") but I read that sometimes, yellow goo just happens. I felt the chickens for bound eggs, everything seemed fine. I thought the problem was going to take care of itself.
    Then today I found my biggest, best producing bird dead. Now I think she had egg peritonitis (I got a hold on the terminology finally). She had been walked around puffed out for a couple of days, but I had never read that that was a symptom of anything. I thought it had to do with the heat. Now that I'm sure I DON'T have the situation under control, I turn to the experts.

Even though my chickens all have their own breed box, they all lay in the same one. That means when Cleopatra laid her yellow goo she laid it on some other eggs. I collected them anyway and washed them with soap and water. Are they safe to eat?

What about Cleopatra's most recent eggs? Are those safe?

Are my other birds in danger? How should I proceed?

2. sabella

sabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2011
    Newnan Ga
    I can't say if the eggs are safe but I would treat the whole flock for parasites and with Antibiotics. (keeping in mind that this would cause you to throw the eggs out for a couple of weeks)

3. magdalenastar

magdalenastar New Egg

Jun 2, 2011
    thank you for your reply, sabella. i'll do that.

i had these chickens for six months. i can't believe so much is going wrong. i didnt think a small flock would have a lot of problems with disease.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by