Recently Hatched Chick - Needed Help Hatching - Now is Weak (somewhat graphic pics)

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by MoosePijamas, Oct 11, 2017.

1. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    I have a chick that needs some help. :(

I acquired some chicks (check my introduction for more backstory). Out of the 8, 3 have hatched. One on day 19 and the other two on day 21. 2 were duds. The other 2 are still incubating. They are rockin' but haven't pipped but I will let them do their thing - whether it's saying goodbye or saying hello.

This one chick is at day 25. She started pipping through the middle of the egg and I decided to intervene. I feel terrible and now I just feel like I should've let nature take its course. I find myself helpless and I'm reaching out for help.

After re-reading countless times how to help, I went ahead and helped her out of her egg a day ago. I figured she would not survive but she's a tough little girl.

My biggest concern is that her body seems swollen with fluid. She still has the 'gunk' stuck to her vent. I have not attempted to cut, pull or remove this gunk in any way shape or form. She is making chirping noises every now and then. I offered some water to her with some chicken electrolytes and it seemed she did take 2 or 3 sips from it with some assistance. She is currently in one of those crappy incubators (best I could find under notice of needing an incubator) at 80% humidity and about 99/100 F degrees.

Is there anything I can do to make her comfortable? I would love for her to survive but if she is in any kind of pain...... :(

I posted some pictures.....Thank you to everyone in advance. Everyone here made it possible for at least 3 chicks to survive.

Attached Files:

2. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    I'm thinking perhaps Omphalitis? :(

3. WhiteWyan

WhiteWyan Songster

May 17, 2017
    Ulster Park
    Definitely omphalitis

4. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    Try leaving the chick inside the incubator for a couple days. I ran into this to on my last hatch if chicks. The chick got better after 2 days inside the incubator. Best wishes and luck!

5. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    Neosporin, or any triple antibiotic (NO PAIN RELIEF), OR Betadine Solution should be applied on a regular basis.

6. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    Thank you everyone

Nyla likes this.
  7. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    Very welcome and :welcome

8. MoosePijamas

MoosePijamas Chirping

Oct 11, 2017
    Springfield, Oregon
    Thank you again everyone. Chick passed away this evening while my mom was holding her and I was applying iodine.

9. Nyla

Nyla Crowing

Jan 3, 2017
    Northwest, Indiana
    I'm so sorry! :hugs

10. getaclue

getaclue Crossing the Road

Jun 19, 2013
    Central Florida
    I'm so sorry!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: