Recently purchased 4 chicks... Please help!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by PickenUpChicks, Mar 9, 2013.

1. PickenUpChicks

PickenUpChicks New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Hi,
    I just bought 4 chicks and I am relatively new to the chick game, I have a question on a heat lamp. Can I turn it off during the night time? Please help!

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Oh, my gosh, no! They need supplemental heat 24/7 for several weeks after hatching!

Start with brooder temps between 90 and 95 degrees around the clock until they are a week old,then drop it 5 degrees for a week, another 5 degrees the next week, and so on. By five weeks, the temperature necessary is around 75 degrees.

If you turned off the light at night (when it's colder) they could die.

3. iguanasal

iguanasal Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 28, 2013
    USA
    Remember to place the lamp where they can move away from it if the get too hot and keep them away from drafts and change te water frequently and give them chick starter to eat I crush mine for the first week or so to make it extra small also b carful they don't get wet or drown in the water dish I put a Rock in the middle of a small dish till I got the good plastic water holder I use a clothe and put paper towels over it and spread some feed on the floor so they can find it easily and in a dish every morning an evening at least I change their water and place there beaks in it then let them tilt there head back and drink this way I'm sure they drink daily if the light bothers u maybe u can use an extension cord to out it away from where u are I heard of ceramic lights that only emit heat no light sold at pet supermarket but I buy the heat lamp at Home Depot it's cheaper the one with a clamp and metal dome good luck

4. PickenUpChicks

PickenUpChicks New Egg

Mar 9, 2013
    Thank you Very much!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by