Recessive/Dominant traits

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by horsecrazy, Nov 13, 2008.

1. horsecrazy

horsecrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    in Storey's Guide to Raising Chickens it has a short list of dominant and recessive traits:

DOMINANT:
    5 toes
    feathered legs
    crest
    side sprigs
    frizzledness

RECESSIVE:
    4 toes
    stubs
    single comb
    wry tail
    silkiness

I was surprised silkiness was on the recessive list. So are all silkies carrying the silkies gene ss? and frizzles are Ff or FF? Calling all silkie breeders!

Also do you guys and girls know any more dominant or recessive traits?

2. ninny

ninny Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2007
    IL side of the QCA
    im not sure. but id really like to know also.

3. iajewel

iajewel Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 22, 2008
    Corning IA
    I have a freind that is a silkie nutt. she uses many to hatch out her quail eggs. One my favorite hens she has is a little black one that looks exactly like a silkie.. except it has feathers not fluff.. It was a one time cross from a silkie hen and a black bantum cochin rooster. She is adorable, but in one cross lost the "silkie"

4. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    All silkies have 2 copies of the recessive gene. In frizzles, one copy gives you a regular frizzle, while with 2 copies you'll get a curly.

5. velo99

velo99 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 26, 2008
    Amarillo
    What about the partridge factor? Where does it fall in the scheme of things?
    v99

Last edited: Nov 14, 2008
  6. horsecrazy

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    LilPEeps could you elaborate on the silkie's 2 genes?

7. LilPeeps

LilPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2007
    SE Mass
    It's not 2 genes, it's 2 copies of a recessive gene. One copy will not show itself, but when bred with another bird with the gene (either het or homo for it) you will get a percentage displaying the gene.

8. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Quote:It is part of the E series- black, birchen, wheaten, BBR and partridge. Partridge(eb) is at the bottom of that ladder.

Partridge can be quite altered by other genes.. columbian turns 'em into buffs with a black tail for example. White in silkies is a recessive white so it is 'recessive' to partridge(and any other color)

9. horsecrazy

Sep 26, 2008
    central CA
    Quote:Oh, I think I understand.
    So If you are breeding for silkiness, you breed a Ss and a Ss then you have a 25% chance of ss (silkie). Correct?

10. Parismymare

Parismymare Out Of The Brooder

Jan 22, 2012
    i know that black skin is dominant my silkie rooster and my goldstar hen had a chick and it had 5 toes and dark skin

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by