Recessive white gene in my bbs silkie pen? Pics of chicks!

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by silkieluver_07, Aug 5, 2009.

1. silkieluver_07

silkieluver_07 Songster

Jan 31, 2008
    Pennsylvania
    I have a pen of blue, black, and splash silkies. So far out of this year hatches I have only hatched no black, only blue and splash/white. I didn't grow any of the "splash" chicks out because I sold them to customers. Monarc23 posted some pictures of chicks that she hatched out of my eggs and they have yet to show their splashing.

I'm not sure if I have a recessive white gene in my flock or since I breed some splash x splash that it dilutes the splash coloring? Here are pictures of chicks that hatched two days ago out of my eggs.

Visible blue chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Questionable splash/white chicks:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. peachesdeese

peachesdeese Songster

May 31, 2009
    Lancaster, SC
    That first picture just kills me.....
    [​IMG]

Sorry I don't have an answer.... I just had to tell ya!

3. chickenbottom

chickenbottom Songster

Dec 30, 2008
    hollister, florida
    i dont have an answer ither but they are adorable

4. lotzahenz

lotzahenz Songster

Aug 28, 2008
    Lexington, Kentucky
    I read somewere that splash x splash always creates blue? Very nice chicks.

5. Teresaann24

Teresaann24 Songster

Jul 29, 2008
    Eastern, Kentucky
    cute chicks I am also having a problem I hatched 2 chicks that was I thought from my gray silkies pen but when they hatched one looks blue and one looks splash. I posted pics and was told the same both are getting their wing feathers in and are snow white. I am confused because These eggs could have only came from my gray or black pen my whites were not laying at the time. It sure is mind boggling.

ETA: These 2 are the only colored chicks like this that have hatched from my birds in almost 2 years. (No new lines added)

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  6. insiderart

insiderart Obviously Insane

Apr 30, 2009
    Arkansas
    God love 'em! Looks like you are about to squeeze their heads off! (I know you aren't they look fine. Just thought it was funny.)

They are pretty though.

7. Thomas423

Thomas423 Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Hey Hannah,
    I bought 2 silkies from you that you thought were splash at first but then said you thought they were white. They are definately all white. And pretty too!!
    Here's a pic of them when I first got them at about 3 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

I'll post a pic of them now (10 weeks old) tomorrow.

I'll be interested in the responses to your question so all you color experts chime in here.

8. Thomas423

Thomas423 Songster

Mar 21, 2009
    Port Deposit, MD
    Quote:Blue to blue = 50%blue, 25%black, 25%splash
    Black to blue = 50%blue, 50%black
    Black to splash = 100%blue
    Blue to splash = 50%blue, 50%splash
    Splash to splash = 100%splash

9. TK Poultry

TK Poultry Songster

May 25, 2009
    Greencastle, Indiana
    a white gene somewhere in your splash bird might dilute your splash offspring if you breed it too a splash but i dont think to the point were they are almost white i would think it would only decrease the splashing!

but im a hobbyist at the moment getting my ducks in a row to start breeding lol [​IMG]

10. SunAngel

SunAngel Songster

May 20, 2008
    Chambersburg, Pa.
    Quote:I have a white chick that I hatched from Hannahs eggs that look exactly like yours...same color beak also [​IMG] They are all so adorable, but I would have sworn mine would be splash also.

ETA: That first chick has an attitude, you can see it already! [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 6, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: