recessive white olive eggers-should i find out?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dinahmoe, Dec 19, 2011.

1. dinahmoe

dinahmoe Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    i hatched 2 sets of olive eggers last spring/ summer.i have 2 roosters,a wheaten ameraucana and a blue wheaten ameraucana.i put them over my black copper marans.i have 1 black copper and 1 blue copper.i also have 4 mossy black coppers from those 2 hens and a pure BCM roo(not here).
    each hatch there has been 1 white chick.it grows up to be solid white with slate blue legs with no feathers.they have both been girls and lay large dark green eggs.

my questions:
    would it be worth the time and amount of chicks to find out who the parents are?
    by this i mean if only 2/25 chicks are white then i will have a lot of extra chicks
    is this something i would need to know using either of the parents in a breeding program?
    is there danger in breeding 2 recessives?
    would they throw all white offspring or will their parents color pop up often?

thanks everyone [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 19, 2011
  2. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    How about pictures of the adult white birds. Then I can answer your questions.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 20, 2011
  3. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Tim,i will have to get some pics later.it is raining here today and tomorrow.here is one i took today of the cleanest one.she is all white ,i promise,but she is in with a roo and she is dirty.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    when she was younger
    [​IMG]

here is one i took of the other one when she was younger.she does have 1- or 2 feathers on her legs
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

thanks

4. tadkerson

tadkerson Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    Missouri
    Quote:If the birds you listed are the only possibilities, then the birds are recessive white.

I would not bother trying to figure out which birds carry the recessive white gene.

There is nothing you need you know other than you have birds that carry recessive white.

Nothing wrong with breeding two birds that carry recessive white.

If you breed your wheatens to the whites, you could get any of the following: black copper like birds, wheaten birds, white birds, splash birds and blue birds. Some will have pea combs and others will not.

Tim

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  5. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    thank you for answering my questions [​IMG]

6. Sonoran Silkies

Sonoran Silkies Flock Mistress

Jan 4, 2009
    Tempe, Arizona
    There is no danger in recessive white. Of lethal genes, there are more that are incompletely dominant than are recessive. I could not find a list of all genes that affect health, but the ones I found that affect plumage negatively tend to be recessive, with a few exceptions.

Recessive itself is merely a mode of inheritance, not an indicator that a gene is dangerous for the bird to have.

7. dinahmoe

Sep 19, 2009
    central georgia
    Quote:thank you for the info [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by