recieved mail order chicks today

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by kim10261, Oct 30, 2014.

1. kim10261

kim10261 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2014
    they have been in their 95* brooder for an hour and a half,most are up running around eating and drinking, I have 4 that are just laying around they are alive my question...do I need to dip their little beaks back in the water or just let them lay there until they are rested from the flight, I took each one out individually and dipped the beaks and scattered some food around there food dish so the could find it,they have found the water and food but those four are worrying me,any help from you guys is always welcome

2. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Yes, dip their beaks in the water. It would also be a good idea to put some Save-A-Chick in the water as well. They are stressed and tired and it really helps give them a boost. Along with that plenty of rest and warmth.

1 person likes this.
  3. kim10261

Apr 20, 2014
    I have vitamins and electrolytes in the water I will go back in and dip their beaks again thank you

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

Hopefully they'll be fine. I've occasionally had chicks that pretty much slept the first day or two after arriving before they perked up.

1 person likes this.
  5. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

It sounds like you are doing everything that can be done. It could be they are just a little weaker than the other chicks and may or may not make it. If any should die please know that you did what you could. I have lost at least one or two chicks from every order that I have received over time. And, perhaps because they are so small, cute and defenseless it seems harder than if they had lived for 10 years and died of old age. Know that some chicks are just not strong enough to make it even if they had never been shipped and all you can do is to do what you are doing.

1 person likes this.
  6. kim10261

Apr 20, 2014
    ok that seemed to work, I had to keep dipping one until she drank on her own,hoping they all continue to prosper

7. jtn42248

jtn42248 Overrun With Chickens

[​IMG]That is good news. Lets keep hoping the rest perk up as well [​IMG]

8. kim10261

Apr 20, 2014
    since dipping those 4 back in the water until they dranks some on their own they seem to be doing better,boy were they a lot lighter than the others I am keeping an eye on them just went and checked they were all sleeping I spoke to them and they all scattered...I suppose that is a good sign...lol

9. mhschafer

mhschafer Out Of The Brooder

Mar 1, 2012
    I usually give our shipped chicks some hard boiled egg yolk, crumbled up on a paper towel, as their "first meal." It seems to give them energy.

1 person likes this.
  10. Wxguru

Wxguru Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2014
    ARKANSAS
    I had the same issue from one. Ours showed up Wednesday morning...by that night, I was sure she was going to die. She slept all the time and barely moved. All her sisters were running everywhere eating and drinking and playing. I gave her some sugar water that night from a syringe. That helped a bit and I let her be for the rest of the night. To my surprise she was up and moving around yesterday morning. I called Meyer just to discuss options, and they said try boiled egg. So when I got home yesterday, I was pleased to see she was running around just fine and eating. I still gave the girls a boiled egg...they have had a hell of a week with shipping and everything and they deserved it. Once they decided they weren't scared of the foreign substance, there was quite the ruckus in the bowl, and who was leading the charge? The runt...she was shoving her way in for her share. She is doing great today!
    She was just stressed and really tired from the trip I guess.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by