Recipe for disaster........peeling a fresh boiled egg!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by mtnhomechick, Mar 12, 2009.

1. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    I am so frustrated!!! So many of the folks who buy my eggs say how EASY they are to peel.

I have NEVER been able to peel my own fresh eggs. I think I have tried every way imaginable but the shells stick so bad I end up tossing out half the egg.

I have certainly been cooking for a long time and most people rave about my food.

But I CAN'T EVEN BOIL AN EGG [​IMG]

2. easy. put pot with water on to boil, add salt, I just dump some in, Pierce large end of egg with straight pin, and slide in boiling water, since I like mine will done I cook them 10 mins, pour off boiling water, add ice and cold water, I bounce my eggs in the pan to sorta crack them before adding the ice and cold water. then just peel. shell slides off . hope it works as well for you as it does for me. marrie

3. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    That ice bath really helps

4. ams3651

ams3651 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2008
    NE PA
    i use the salt but sometimes its still not enough. My youngest asks for 'hard eggs' and last week it was egg salad instead.

5. mtnhomechick

mtnhomechick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2008
    Mountain Home, AR
    Quote:How fresh are they when you boil them this way?

6. horsejody

horsejody Squeaky Wheel

Feb 11, 2008
    Waterloo, Nebraska
    I use a large sewing needle and poke a hole in the large end of the egg (right into the air sac). I also use the oldest eggs I have. Since I have started using this method I have had never had an ugly peeled egg again.

7. jbowyer01

jbowyer01 Just Me!

Aug 29, 2008
    Hogansville, Georgia
    Thank you for telling us how to do this. I tried making deviled eggs last weekend, I thought they'll look cute (bantam eggs) and impress everyone! NOT it looked like I put them through the paper shredder [​IMG]

8. Rte.66_chicks

Rte.66_chicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2008
    Kingman, AZ
    I use the "pierce the air cell with a pin" method, and it works great every time, even on eggs that have just been laid. They peel smooth as silk and make beautiful deviled eggs. Hmm, it's been a while-think I'll boil up some this evening and make some tomorrow.

9. Pullet Pimp

Pullet Pimp Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2008
    Ohio
  10. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:That's the same thread I was going for. Works like a charm! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by