1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Recipe for heritage breed chicken(25 weeks old) for thanksgiving

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by camilleathome, Oct 8, 2013.

1. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Hey guys were processing two roosters for thanksgiving that are around 25 weeks and trying to find a good recipe to serve it up for thanksgiving. Their buckeye and Heritage Rhode island reds so definitely not meat kings. Any suggestions on how I should cook them? I heard the texture can be really different and not the best roasted in the oven.

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe Chicken Obsessed

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    First, make sure you rest the meat for 3 days or so before freezing or cooking.
    If roasting, put the breast down in the broth because it cooks much faster. Cook low and slow. I do about 200 degrees till the leg meat starts to fall off the bone. That's about 5 hours.
    I'll try to locate some great recipes I've posted before.

3. camilleathome

camilleathome Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2012
    New Brunswick Canada
    Thank you it would be appreciated for sure!

4. Still waiting for those recipes! [​IMG]

I have 3 roosters resting in the fridge. I need a good recipe for roasting them whole, I want them tender and juicy and pretty enough to put on the table.

Got recipes?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by