1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

recipe for legbar

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by dragonlord483, Feb 14, 2014.

1. dragonlord483

dragonlord483 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 11, 2013
    perrysburg new York
    I am trying to find info on how to make a legbar. I read somewhere that it was a Leghorn a pbr and a blue egg layer? But what color lh and so on can anyone help

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    For Cream Legbar Brown Leghorn were used. Araucana was the blue egg layer and yes, a Barred Plymouth Rock. What percentage of each? No idea.

This link has info on the auto sexing bars.

http://blue-eggs.co.uk/#/history-of-cream-legbars/4554275782

Looks like a white Leghorn was used too. Long journey of crossing and culling to recreate this breed. 7 years minimum, Brown Leghorn X Barred Rock, correct color malesXBrown Leghorn, Correct color mating of offspring, Correct males back to Brown Leghorn, Correct color male to White Leghorn, correct females back to gold sire, then introduce Aruacana...

Last edited: Feb 15, 2014
  3. dragonlord483

Feb 11, 2013
    perrysburg new York
    Ya it is I was also kinda thinking to not worry about the color and try and see if I can get the auto sexing first

4. dragonlord483

Feb 11, 2013
    perrysburg new York
    I know it not the same but just to start maybe even make a bantam version

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by