Recipe for treating birds sick with Coccidiosis

Glenda L Heywood

Songster
10 Years
Apr 11, 2009
MEDICATING FOR COCCIDIOSIS

Only when you see your chicks humped up with ruffled feathers standing alone in the cornr, only drinking water they have started to get coccidiosis
this is only after they have been put on new soil
there are 9 kinds of coccidiosis germs
so every place may have different coccidiosis germs present

generally they do not get it in brooder

DO NOT medicate for coccidiosis IF your birds do not have symtoms of coccidiosis
It is very hard on them and will only cause them to be resistant to the medication when you need it

I always started the chicks on this recipe and seen to it the sick chick got to the feeder
chicks will generally eat a wet mash

When you spot chicks humped up standing in the corner or over by them selves after putting on the ground I always immediately fed this to them
1 gallon of dry crumbles
1-1/2 gallon of water
in the water use 1/2 first with 1 tsp of amproylium powder
I have used 1 tsp of sulmet
but I prefer a amproylium product

If few chicks make only 1 cup of dry crumbles and 1/8 of tsp of amproylium powder
2 cups of water mixed with amproylium powder

Then add rest of water till it is a very wet mash
put in feeders for all chicks so that each chick gets 2 tsp of it
see to it that the sick ones get to the wet mash
have the amproylium put in the drinking water for 7 days as well

ONLY MX what amount you will need to provide for the number of chicks you have so each chick eats 2 tsp per feeding
If you make too much store in ice box for next day
Only feed the medicated wet mash three mornings and when they finish it then cleclean the feeders and put back regular crumbles

Last edited:
Excellent advice, Glenda. I've used raw goats milk, buttermilk and plain yogurt often for chicks, as well as dry powdered milk in the starter. Amprolium(Corid) is better than Sulmet because Sulmet is not very effective against eimeria tenella, one type of cocci. I've battled cocci often here, every time a new batch of chicks gets on the ground lately. In addition, the Sulmet can make the intestinal bleeding continue longer than if they were on Corid.
Thanks for posting!
smile.png

CORID IS VERY MUCH BETTER ARE THEY MAKING IT IN SMALL PCKAGES NOW? they had taken it off the market
and only in liquid gallons last time I heard
thanks for the info
Milk is very goodfor chickens

I have a bottle of the 9.6% Corid liquid that is 16 ounces. It cost $20 for that bottle. I've had a time with cocci in the last two years, so I'm going to keep this on hand for every batch of chicks. No matter how on the spot I am in my management, it still happens lately. I've always used medicated feed, but it seems to be ineffective at the preventative dosage now, so I've changed to non medicated and will treat as necessary with Corid, then probiotics.

Out of six feedstores in my area, only one had the Corid. They kept trying to make me buy Terramycin instead, LOL.
hmm.png

I was just yesterday searching for this information so I would know what to do, when I put my chicks out, in case they should come down with it. Thanks so much for posting.

I simply can not find the amproylium powder. Sulmet was all I had to choose from.

So I should wait till I see that they are sick to give this to them? I saw a tad of bloody poo this morning, but all chickies are acting fine (they are eating and drinking just fine). I put them in a cage on the ground the other day while I was cleaning their brooder, so they may have gotten it then. I just am not sure if that is what it is.

Thanks for the great advice you have given.

Cheryl

I think you all will have to get aquainted with
Smith Poultry & Game Bird Supply HomeA family-owned business that offers poultry and game bird books, supplies, vitamins and medication. Located in Kansas, US.
www.poultrysupplies.com/ - 164k - Cached - Similar pages

Last edited:
DizzyChicken, are you sure it was blood in the poo? I have seen reddish-looking "stuff" in my chicks' droppings, and it really worried me.....until I read the "poop page" (someone please provide the link, I don't have it bookmarked on this computer) and found that the pinkish-reddish "stuff" was actually intestinal lining, which is completely normal and harmless.

Back
Top Bottom