recipe needed, goat's milk ice cream

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by freemotion, Apr 19, 2009.

1. freemotion

freemotion Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    I am looking for a good recipe, an old-fashioned one, for an ice cream (ice milk, really) to make with fresh, raw goat's milk and fresh, raw eggs. I would also like to use some wonderful baking chocolate squares I bought, too, but will be thrilled with a recipe for vanilla that is raw and does not need cream.

No processed ingredients, please. Sugar is ok, but I am looking for a super healthy recipe with no ingredients like condensed milk, etc. Just a basic recipe that great-great-grandma might've made.

Thanks for any help! I do have a recipe from Nourishing Traditions to fall back on, but it calls for cream.

2. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    Oooh I cant help but I would love to know a good recipe as well,

3. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Last edited: May 13, 2009
  4. Broke Down Ranch

Broke Down Ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:I make that recipe all the time and it turns out lovely! My last batch was altered to make buttered pecan. YUM! Tonight I'm making wild berry cherry!

5. freemotion

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Thanks, I will make that one for an upcoming cookout. For us, though, I found a couple of raw recipes, using raw eggs and raw milk.

GoatÂ’s Milk Ice Cream

9 cups whole goat milk
    2 1/2 cups sugar
    4 eggs well beaten
    3 Tablespoons vanilla
    1/4 teaspoon salt

Beat eggs add sugar mix well until smooth. Add salt and vanilla mix well. Slowly add milk in large pan mix really well and bring to boil. Place in fridge and chill for 2 hours then place in ice cream freezer and freeze.

The other one comes from the book Nourishing Tradition by Sally Fallon, which I have but it is copyrighted so I won't post. If you want it, I have seen it posted online with permission, so you can find it with a google search. Sorry, don't have a link, since I have the book.....

6. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    Quote:The aforementioned recipe calls for raw ingredients too. When I make mine I do not pasturize the milk and the eggs are not cooked before adding to the milk. [​IMG]

7. freemotion

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Oh, so you take a cooked recipe and just don't cook it? I was thinking of doing that.....

8. Broke Down Ranch

Apr 18, 2007
    Texas
    I do cook it, it's just all raw before it's cooked. Just like your recipe calls for bringing everything to a boil. This recipe does NOT get boiled, just cooked long enough to get thick. Then I cool it down and throw it in my ice cream machine.

9. freemotion

Nov 10, 2008
    Western MA
    Oh, got it. I'm gonna do a fully raw batch. I could not drink milk for decades until I discovered raw milk. I am really looking forward to ice cream!

Last edited: May 14, 2009
  10. MrsCountryChick

MrsCountryChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2008
    PA
    Quote:I tried the Ice Cream, it's very tasty, but it's the kind that you'd call Ice Milk Ice Cream. So it's what you were looking for freemotion. I was expecting a creamier taste like typical Ice Cream, but no biggy. I like Ice Milk Ice Cream too. I have an Ice Cream book I'm gonna have to try some recipes from. It's great to have the Fresh Goat's Milk for Recipes. [​IMG] [​IMG] I'll post a recipe or two when I have the freezer room to try more Ice Cream Recipes. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by