Recipes/foods that freeze well,

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by MeatKing, Dec 26, 2011.

1. MeatKing

MeatKing Chillin' With My Peeps

Hi all, my Mom has not been well for awhile, docs do not know what is wrong.
    After seeing her over Christmas. Sisters and I decided to make her a care package. Of ready made, frozen meals.

She is trying to stay away from nightshade vegatables which are Potatoes, tomatoes, sweet and hot peppers, eggplant, tomatillos, tamarios, pepinos, pimentos, paprika, cayenne, and Tabasco sauce are classified as nightshade foods. Choc and nuts.

She has gotten very skinny, and really needs the extra energy.

So please if you have in ideas in what to make.

I am already doing a nice chicken, veggie, soup. And some blueberry barn muffins. For the freezer. Than-you everyone!

2. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I don't see where you say anything about beans. What about some home made bean soup? That freeze's well.

3. MeatKing

Beans freeze well? I've never made a bean soup, sounds good. Do you have a fav. recipe? or are they mostly all alike? Will try googleing one. \\
    Thank-you so much [​IMG]

4. 4Hchickenproject

4Hchickenproject Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    I keep a gallon sized ziploc bag in our freezer, and whenever we have leftover beans, corn, peas, etc., I just dump them into the bag and continue filling it. Once filled, we have "dump soup" from the freezer. Add a little meat if you want it, whatever soup stock you like--we usually use tomato based--and make your own vegetable soup!

I have a recipe for what we call Sunday Chicken, because I put a whole chicken in the oven on Sunday morning before church, in my Pampered Chef covered pot, and it's ready to eat when we get home. Often, I'll add a 2nd chicken, and allow it to cool then freeze it. Later I just re-heat in a low-medium oven, and no one can tell whether it's the "real thing" or the frozen one.

5. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
  6. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    I freeze beans, soups, spaghetti, casseroles, lasagna and it freezes well.

7. zzGypsy

zzGypsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2011
    quiche freezes well, you can make it with mushrooms, cheese, broccoli or asparagus, bacon, sausage, ham, onions, whatever she likes... I thought quiche was difficult but a friend of mine was over for the holiday and we made some every morning for lunch (because I have like a thousand eggs to use up) and it's not hard at all. with fresh duck or turkey eggs, it seems to hold it's body extremely well, and they're rich and full of good nutrition besides. should really help with buiding back up lost muscle and weight.

I make white rolls from the frozen dough you can buy and they freeze really well too, just wrap them so they don't get freezer burn and package them with some soup or stew. not the most nutritionally dense bread, but tasty and appealing, and survive freezing with very little change.

chicken or turkey stew (white and dark meat, chopped carrots, onions, turnups or other root veges, a can of chicken broth or cream of chicken soup, and enough water to cook them in the crockpot, plus one package of herbs for herb-roasting a whole chicken).

pumpking soup freezes well (pumpkin mushroom, or pumpkin pear are my favorites).

turkey dinners freeze well... cooked turkey, stuffing, cranberry sauce. the gravy, not so much, but you can buy canned gravy in small jars and it works well enough.

8. MeatKing

Quote:I really like this idea, gonna start useing it [​IMG]

Thank-you

9. MeatKing

Quote:Thank-you so much, gonna try the second one for her [​IMG] YEah, so happy to have ideas

10. MeatKing

Quote:Thank-you Kuntry Girl

Gonna try a bean soup...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by