Recipes for cooking dry blackeyed peas

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by cackle, Jul 19, 2008.

1. cackle

cackle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I have an almost 2 pound bag of peas and want to cook them tomorrow. My sister will be here and does not eat pork so I can not use that to season them. I actually bought the bag to use for planting but had a lot left over and thought I would cook them tomorrow for a down home meal. I cook dry beans all the time but only fresh peas so I am not sure how long to soak etc.

Any and all suggestions or recipes would be appreciated. I cook well enough if you can just get me started I think I will be fine.

Thanks,

Susan

2. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Peas for planting are treated and shouldn't be eaten.

Do you mean you bought a bag of regular peas to sprout for planting?

3. I soak mine for a couple hours and wash really good, then cook slowly until done, but I usually season them with either apiece of bacon,or ham.I bought a package dry black eye from the grocery store to plant, and boy are they growing, can't hardly wait for them to start producing. marrie

4. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    These are eating peas that I decided to try and plant since I could not find any seeds locally. my garden has done so poorly this year if they do not come up I will just chalk it up to my luck this year.

I have decided to make red beans and rice but will probably fix the peas next weekend.

Thank you for the soaking time I was not sure how long I needed to soak them.

Susan

5. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    I finally got around to cooking the peas. THey were actually yellow eyed peas which I had never heard of. I have to say they are the best peas I have ever had/made. I brought them to a boil for about 5 minutes then threw in a half a white onion and 3 strips of bacon(salt to taste. Lowered to a simmer and cooked about an hour until they were done. We had this along with fresh cream style corn, rice , okra and tomatoes and cornbread. Now I am sitting here in what my dad would have called pig heaven.

6. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Scooch over. I wanna sit at your supper table please! Yummy!

7. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    MissPrissy you are welcome anytime you are in the area. But I think you are probably a better cook than I am. [​IMG]

8. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    I don't know about that. I have met some women that can cook the pants off of me. You just might be one of them with that supper spread I just read about.

When I was little, 5 - 9, I would go to my great grandma's in the summer. After we spent the morning helping to shell peas she would cook them for dinner with sliced tomato, corn bread and to wash it down 6oz bottles of coke. That is one of the biggest food memories of my life.

She had a hand pump in her kitchen and no indoor plumbing to speak of. It was some of the best summers of my life.

9. cackle

Jul 8, 2008
    North Carolina
    Miss Prissy,

Memories you have like those of your grandma shelling and cooking the peas, the fresh tomatoes straight from the garden and the 6 ox coke are the type I am trying to share with my grandchildren.

Most of my cooking skills were gleemed from my mother who passed away from cancer 7 years ago. She was a good southern cook from a small town in La.

They are always welcome to pull up a chair and watch me cook and help when it is something they can do without getting hurt. I have to put up my seeds or the 3 and 5 year old will go plant them without me and you can imagine how that turns out. I had 15 peas come up in the middle of my spinach. (I just transplanted them)

I started baking when I was 11 and my dad would not eat anything if I did not make it from scratch so out the window went the cake mixes. Not that I haven't taken that shortcut now and then since leaving home. I never have found a good yellow cake from ctratch but I thinkI might try the one posted here recently. My kids will be here for lunch and that would make a good dessert.

I have a 24 year old son who was a cook in the marines. Not that he got much other than the standard military fare training but he throw things together I would never think to and is a wonderful cook.

Back to the peas, have youever had yellow eyed peas? These were dry but I do think they were the best dried peas I have ever had. I think I may freeze some of the peas for next year in case I can't find any to plant.

Well coffee is ready and I think I am ready for it.

Susan

10. MissPrissy

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Yellow eyes, pink eyes, black eyes, lady fingers, butter peas - people up here have never heard of them.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by