Recipes for cool weather beverages wanted

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by jcatblum, Sep 22, 2011.

1. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    What beverages do you make when the weather turns cool? Any good reciepes you would like to share. Cold & rainy here. So I am drinking coffee to stay warm. Would love some other options!

2. KenK

KenK Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2011
    Georgia
    I think a nice hot cup of herbal tea has a better warming effect than coffee. My wife buys something called "constant comfort" that is right tasty.

3. peeplessinNC

peeplessinNC Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 23, 2008
    NC Piedmont
    Hot, mulled cider is good when it's cold weather out.

1 gallon apple cider
    2 tablespoons whole allspice
    2 tablespoons whole cloves
    5 -6 cinnamon sticks
    brown sugar to taste (optional)
    orange slice
    additional cinnamon stick (optional)

Tie allspice and cloves in a square of cheesecloth or put in a tea ball. Add to the cider poured in a deep pot; then add in cinnamon sticks and brown sugar. Heat at a low simmer for 30 minutes. To serve, float a thin slice of fresh orange on top of the cider in a mug and add another cinnamon stick to the mug if desired.

I like hot tea also - especially the Stash Herbal and Fruit teas. My favorites are Lemon Ginger (with honey) and Blueberry (with raw sugar).

4. vfem

vfem Yoga...The Chicken Pose

Aug 4, 2008
    Fuquay Varina, NC
    I love a good mulled cider!

I also like some hot coffee over milk/cream & chocolate sauce. Sometimes I mix in some caramel OR chai spice mix I find at the grocery store... so its not the same old coffee!

5. jcatblum

jcatblum Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 27, 2010
    Cement, OK
    I will have to make a shopping list! I do have some herbal teas in the cabinet, but forgot all about chai tea. I like the concentrated tazo one. Same brand they use @ starbucks & is only $2 a box at the commissary. A box will last me about a wk.

Will be doing cider & chai tea for sure!!! With our awful drought this yr I don't have any fresh herbs growing right now, so sad.....

Anybody have a good homemade hot chocolate? Kids only seem to like the nasty box stuff.

6. BettyR

BettyR Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    My favorite is a cup of hot coffee with two big spoons of that powered chocolate milk mix and lightened with some heavy cream.

7. arabianequine

arabianequine Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2010
    I love chi tea hot from start bucks with soy almond milk they go great together. I am sure you could make it at home too....so its cheaper.

I really like a nice hot cup of Russian tea mix.

Hot chocolate is one of my favorites with a scoop of vanilla ice cream in it.

8. lara08

lara08 New Egg

Jun 17, 2011
    Singapore
    I usually make an easy homemade hot chocolate.

Ingredients:
    1 cup of milk (per serving)
    2 squares of Hershey milk chocolate

Preparation:
    Take out milk, Hershey chocolate, and a cup. In the cup first place 2 squares of Hershey Milk Chocolate. Next, slide the cup into the microwave and heat for 35 seconds. When melted, put in 8 oz. of milk (a cup). Mix it together until you get that warm brown color. Next, slide it back into the microwave for your desired time or until the milk is well heated. Enjoy!

Yummy Nasi Lemak [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by