Recipes for the sick...

elizabethbinary

Songster
9 Years
Mar 22, 2010
Brisbane, Australia
I'm pretty sure I contracted a stomach bug of sorts. I'm not 'sick sick' (like I don't FEEL sick) but I'm having some, er... Well there's either a car going the wrong way on a one way street or they're speeding through the right direction. My doctor is really busy until next week and it doesn't feel bad enough to see a doc for just yet.

But anyway - eating has been a problem. I eat or I try to eat and it doesn't end particularly well. I'm still able to function and live and even go to the bank and be pretty chipper - but the hour after food is a mess.

I need something high in calories (I'm eating such small amounts I need it), low in fat (fat is making me nauseated), easy to digest, low in sugar and healthy. Crackers aren't cutting it, either. Unless I want to attept to eat an entire batch to get my nutrients.
sad.png

Anybody have any recipes for an actual food item that I can keep down? It's like an eat and pray game right now.

Thank you!!!

Katy's chicken soup for your ills

chicken broth 1 large can - low fat protien
Dark Red kidney beans 1 large can drained & rinsed super low fat protien & fiber
one handful of dry rice - bulk to keep it in you
2 mushrooms sliced thin - super curative mushroom power
2 green onions sliced thin diagonally (it's the diagonal slice that makes you feel better)
1 Fresh Jalepeno diced - that good bug killing stuff
1 handful of cilantro - chopped - healthy greens
salt to taste (I use Crazy Janes but don't know if you have that there)
4 limes juiced and seperated in half - vitamin C

put everything in a pot and simmer (only juice from two limes)
taste when the rice is done & adjust with remaining lime juice

When my stomach is out of sorts the first thing I reach for is Campbell's Chicken Noodle Soup and plain saltine crackers. Fills you up and sooths the tummy.

Well, this does not meet your requirements, but I have found it helpful in the past.

Turbo Tea
half cup hot water
black or green tea
half cup orange juice, with pulp

Steep tea
Add orange juice
Close eyes when sipping

Really, close them -- you do not want to look at it.​

Last edited:
Taking into account where you are located: might I suggest some yoghurt too, just plain yoghurt - if Greek Yoghurt has hit your area do try it - it's different than regular yoghurt basically because they strain it longer - it's very thick. Yoghurt will soothe the stomach and replace natural bacteria in the lower digestive tract that may have died. And take it easy on your stomach for a couple days, even when you start feeling better - pamper that poor thing. When I'm feeling sick if I can get to the store I buy my old favorites: some Stouffer's Turkey Tetrazinni or Macaroni and Cheese - and some hearty wheat bread toasted. A little of that goes a long way. Also really worth mentioning, if you can't get out but have friends that will run an errand for you have them pickup up a really big order of Chinese Won Ton soup... A lovely broth with won tons in it. Chinese Penicillin in a bowl. LOL
Here's a couple of easy and simple recipes (well some not SO simple but good anyway):

Big's "Spinach Soup"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=426653

Curry and rice soup
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=167687

And my "Get Well Won Ton soup"
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=171671

Really if you have a bunch of cans of chicken stock in the cupboard and a handfull of vegetables in the fridge you're ready to go. Heat the stock in a pan, cut up your vegetables and simmer them for about 10 minutes - if you have a package of those cheap Ramen Noodles add them. Simmer three minutes longer after you add the noodles, take it off the heat and let it rest about 10 minutes so all the flavors meld and you're rocking, or should I say on the road to comfort and recovery,

Get well soon

The chicken soup sounds like a the best idea, and homemade over canned, especially if you can get someone else to make it for you. Additionally, blackberries can calm digestive upsets sometimes, as well as my favorite, peppermint tea.
Hope you feel better soon!

Potato soup is our family's go-to food when we are feeling poorly. I saute some onion (or leeks) in a combination of butter and oil, not a lot, but you could saute in chicken broth if you want to avoid the fat. Then I add peeled, chopped potatoes, some chicken broth and some milk, s&p, and simmer until the potatoes are really done. Then using an immersion blender or food processor, puree the soup silky smooth and correct the seasoning - serve hot.

Sipping a little blackberry wine is my folk remedy when diarrhea strikes...if that is the problem. Learned that from my dear MIL.

Hope you soon feel better.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom