Recipes for treats

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ChirpyChicks1, Mar 5, 2014.

1. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    I'm looking to make a chicken friendly oatmeal bar or soft treat block.

I got a few hanging wire bird feders (just basic wire squares) and I'm wanting a softer type bar to put in it. I haven't attempted to make a homemade flock block yet but from the pictures I've seen they look very hard. I also don't want to have something in the oven for hours and hours. I have one chicken who knows she doesn't get to eat with the rest ([​IMG]) so having multiple "treat stations" is a must.

I already Pin recipes from Fresh Eggs Daily and The Chicken Chick so any other recipes people could share would be great! [​IMG]

2. Hooligans7

Hooligans7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2012
    North-central Arkansas
    During cold weather my wife makes cakes for our chickens and they go ape over them. They're the "no bake" kind, but melted rendered fat (beef tallow) keeps them together. She gets the beef fat trimmings from our butcher (for little or nothing) and renders it in a double boiler. While that's happening, she gathers the following ingredients for one cake, which she forms in the mold that came with our wire bird feeder:

uncooked oatmeal
    wild bird seed
    cooked vegetable scraps and their edible peelings and/or tops (chopped)
    1 Tbs. dark or blackstrap molasses
    1 Tbs. peanut butter (optional)
    1 Tbs. raisins (optional)

Combine ingredients in a bowl, then add liquid rendered fat — just enough to stick everything together. Knead into a stiff "dough" then press mixture into the mold and let cool. When firm, release from mold, load wire feeder, and serve to chickens!

Last edited: Mar 5, 2014
  3. ChirpyChicks1

ChirpyChicks1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2013
    Thanks for replying Hooligans7!

I went ahead and made a flock block in a cupcake tin. Worked out fairly well but the chickens don't go bananas for it like I was expecting, such critics they are!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by