Recipes for your chooks!

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by mychookschick, Jan 4, 2011.

1. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    Hey everyone...

I just thought it would be really cool to start a "recipe book" or so to speak for our chooks! So, I decided to start a thread for people to post their recipes to... LOL The ones for your chooks, anyway!

Therefore, POST AWAY!

Thanks so much... I know this will be helpful to me and hopefully to others!

My Chooks Chick

2. Crabella

Crabella Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    Inland Pacific NW
    Are you looking for recipes for treats / food FOR the chickens, or with chicken as an ingredient? or just any old recipe? [​IMG]

3. tntpeeps

tntpeeps New Egg

Sep 18, 2010
    sssssooooo i am new here....where are the recipes????
    [​IMG] thanks!!![​IMG]

4. Organics North

Organics North Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2009
    Wisconsin Northwoods
  5. mychookschick

mychookschick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG] I was thinking recipes FOR your chooks but I guess anyhting could go!

6. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    My chooks favorite winter snack (this is to be shared by 15 hens and 2 roosters):

6 chopped, boiled eggs

3 chopped apples

1 cup of black oil sunflower seeds (BOSS)

Any whole wheat sandwich crusts that might be available from the human's dinner table

My wife or I chop up the boiled eggs and apples and put them in a bowl. We then mix in the cup of black oil sunflower seeds. We add in any (whole wheat bread only) sandwich crusts that might be left over from peanut butter sandwiches, and any chopped up kitchen scraps (like outer leaves of the cabbage head).

Mix all of this up really good, and then put it into paper plates, and put at least two paper plates of the mixture in the larger chicken yard (for 12 hens and 1 rooster) and the other paper plate of the mixture in the other area for the smaller flock of three hens and one rooster.

Make sure to remove the paper plate after they eat the snack, cuz otherwise, they'll eat the paper plate too!

7. crawfordmama

crawfordmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 29, 2010
    The Lakes Region, NH
    Today I tried something new. I mixed a cup of cooked oatmeal with a can of pumpkin puree and added a handful of raisins. It's so darn cold I figured they'd appreciate something to warm their tummies. It was a big hit, and most of it ended up in their mouths rather than flung around the coop.

8. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    My chickens enjoy: 3 chopped hardboiled eggs, 2 spoons of yogurt, 1 cup cooked oatmeal, shredded venison roast and 4 drops Franks Hot Sauce. Thoroughly mix and serve on their own dish. Stand behind tractor so as not to be covered in flying food. Wait 30 seconds, peek and see if all gone. If not, it will be in the next thirty seconds![​IMG]

9. UrbanGrower

UrbanGrower Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    West Jordan, UT
    A couple tablespoons of honey in 1/4 gallon of warm water. Careful, they'll drink it all.

10. Whimsy

Whimsy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2010
    Cecilia KY
    I buy at Sam's those huge containers of spring greens then add a can of tuna or salmon any other fresh fruit and veggies place in the coop and run. They love it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by