Recipes made out of nothin'

SoccerMomof7

Songster
11 Years
Apr 13, 2008
Kansas
Okay I need some ideas for receipes made from very little. I didn't plan for the storm as well as I should of but now I have 18 inches of snow and can't get out. Okay I have lots in my pantry but need ideas.

take cut up chicken, crumbled cornbread, diced celery, onions,and carrots, chicken broth and mix it up and bake it for half an hour (obviously precook chicken) and make some gravy and mashed potatoes!
or you can make hamburber stew and rolls..just fry up some hamburger and onions, drain the grease and add water, potatoes,carrots,onions,celery,cabbage, and peas and let it simmer all day and then thicken with cornstarch or flour.

Quiche! This is what I fall back on a lot. With an endless supply of eggs its great! Its a great way to use up little bits of things and make it stretch. Make a pie crust, or you can do a crust less quiche. I have put uncooked hash browns in the bottom of the pie pan as the crust too! Scramble 8-10 eggs. Add cheese, little bits of veggies you may have green peppers ,onions, etc. Then that 1 left over sausage(cut up), the last piece of bacon or chicken no one ate. I have used up lunch meat this way to. Basically any thing and cheese! Makes a great quiche! Pour into crust and bake.

PS! Its snowing like crazy here and is spose to continue through tomorrow. Hubby just went to town to get groceries too!!

Last edited:
Quote:
Well by the time I got to the store yesterday they were sold out of bread, I bought 2 gals milk but that is already almost gone with 7 kids. I do have like 7 doz eggs. I bought potatoes, onions and garlic. We had potatoe soup last night. I have lots of frozen pork ribs, my DH doesn't like them, I could cook and use that meat for something. Hmmm I am getting all sorts of ideas. We are suppose to get 6-10 more inches and my DH is at work so it's just me and all 7 kids here to hold down the fort. I am trying to go to the coop only once today, I went last night and made sure everything was full so hopefully they are still okay, the drifts are up to my belly around the house, this is why I need coveralls, I wonder if I can get them in pink?
wink.png
big_smile.png

I posted nearly the same thing on here a couple of weeks ago!

I ended up with sloppy joe filling on top of cornbread.

MMM.

Quote:
Well by the time I got to the store yesterday they were sold out of bread, I bought 2 gals milk but that is already almost gone with 7 kids. I do have like 7 doz eggs. I bought potatoes, onions and garlic. We had potatoe soup last night. I have lots of frozen pork ribs, my DH doesn't like them, I could cook and use that meat for something. Hmmm I am getting all sorts of ideas. We are suppose to get 6-10 more inches and my DH is at work so it's just me and all 7 kids here to hold down the fort. I am trying to go to the coop only once today, I went last night and made sure everything was full so hopefully they are still okay, the drifts are up to my belly around the house, this is why I need coveralls, I wonder if I can get them in pink?
wink.png
big_smile.png

That's funny about the pink coveralls! My DH was determined to get me a pair for ice fishing. I said only if they come in pink!! However we didn't have any luck. So I said I would settle for a pink Carhartt coat and black coveralls!

Boy I bet with 7 kids you don't get bored on snow days!

What about crocking or boiling the ribs until the meat comes off. Then make pork gravy, mix in the meat chunks and serve over homemade mashed potatoes.

Back
Top Bottom