Reckon Jonny is KILLING BIG RABBITS???!

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by rebel-rousing-at-night, Mar 21, 2011.

1. rebel-rousing-at-night

rebel-rousing-at-night Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a large cat named Jonny. A couple of months ago there was a dead rabbit in the yard.I thought well great.That will cause all kinds of problems.I got a stick and was going to get it to a better position to get it.I turned around to get a shovel and when I turned back around Jonny had drug it under my truck which was blocked by my car.I thought well it's so cold and I've got to go to bed the heck with it tonight. Next thing I knew there was only one rabbit foot left. [​IMG]

Well,tonight I stepped out the door and he has another one!Big like the other.That cat must have steroids in him.I find it hard to believe he is killing them and eating all.What do you think?

2. ruthless

ruthless Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 7, 2010
    Mount Vernon, Mo
    I have a small female cat who often catchs and eats half grown rabbits. so I expect your cat has no problem with the bigger rabbits. Some cats just want fresh meat even when well fed.

3. rebel-rousing-at-night

I used to have some heavy duty cat hunters but it has been some time as they got old and passed.Been some time and I'm just not used to seeing it .

Now I will have to start flea control early.[​IMG]

4. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    Yes, Tinkerbell, my little kitty would bring up full grown rabbits and half-eaten squirrels. Kind of disturbing. She'd sit there with a big smile on her face with her eyes half-closed.

5. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    I've had cats including small ones catch rabbits. I'm not sure they'd eat all of it though. Some other critter may have helped during the night. Anything left sit here overnight would be gone by morning due to wildlife.

6. HorseFeatherz NV

HorseFeatherz NV Eggink Chickens

Go Jonny Go [​IMG]

Less rabbits to destroy your garden this spring [​IMG]

7. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    Cats are fully capable of killing grown rabbits along with much other native wildlife.[​IMG]

8. chickbea

chickbea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2007
    Vermont
    Oh, yeah. I had an old neutered male that was a mighty hunter. His favorite prey was ruffed grouse, but he did in many a bunny as well. One night I heard howling and went out to find him facing down an enormous raccoon!

9. Alicia G

Alicia G Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2010
    Nova Scotia
    I could defentally see a cat killing a rabbit no problem. My neighbour had bob tailed cats, and he had one large male that lived outside. He would only eat what he caught. He was a big pest to me because he was killing my meat kings. I watched him one time take down a full grown male muscovy and then drag it up a tree 20 feet or so off the ground! That was one cat I didnt want to be around!

10. rebel-rousing-at-night

Quote:Well the crazy thing I just started seeing rabbits around here a few years ago. I always keep flea control as a precaution on them but it was not until the rabbits were really close that I started having flea problems.Dang flea bag rabbits. [​IMG]

Yeah go Jonny Go! eliminate those flea bags. [​IMG] You know I waited until the second night and thought its been warm I had better get rid of the carcass.
    I went outside and the only parts left were the spine,back leg bones with feet,a little bit of scull and one ear. [​IMG]

Jonny is very different for me.He's always hungry.I put food out several times a day.Most of the time he turns his nose up at it.Now I know why.Maybe I will have to start to cull rabbits to satisfy his appetite. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by