recom. for starting a self sustaining flock of Jaerhons

Discussion in 'Chicken Breeders & Hatcheries' started by Kelsey2017, Jan 30, 2011.

1. Kelsey2017

Kelsey2017 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    Hello I am absolutely new to this forum thing and this is my first post ever! Thank you guys in advance as I know I'll get great input.

I am looking to start a flock of Jaerhons that I hope to get lovely eggs from as well as allow them to breed and hatch their own chicks. I would like to start with about 25 pullets, but what is the ratio of roosters to hens that I should have in order to be selective about future generations? Where can I find info on what to strive for in breeding these birds and would it be beneficial to order from more than one hatchery? I know of a couple places to order them from (would like others too) but what questions are good to ask the hatcheries before I order? There are many more questions but feel free to just start typing and I'll jump in when you spark up another question!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

Here is a sample of the answers you will get in no particular order:

1) [​IMG]

2) Get the best stock you can get from Breeders if you start with good you can make it better easier.

3) Ask for pictures of the parent stock

4) Get/Learn the SOP for Jaerhons, sometimes this can be found at breed clubs

5) with separate pens 3-5 per roo, w/o pens 8-10 per roo.

6) don't breed individuals with the same faults

7)familiarize yourself with line breeding and pen breeding.

But I'm no expert. Cheers!

Last edited: Jan 30, 2011
  3. Kelsey2017

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    Thank you, I will track down some breeders clubs, I does seem more complicated with the Jaerhons just because it looks as though there are many variations. I have wanted a Scandinavian farm for years and just found out about this breed. I was freaking out, it was hilarious! Here I go, thanks for the advice.

4. Coopa Cabana

Coopa Cabana My Coop Runneth Over . . .

Aug 30, 2009
    Colorado
    My Coop
    You should reach out to BYC member alpinefarm. She raises them.

5. Kelsey2017

Jan 30, 2011
    Two Harbors, MN
    thanks will do I am so excited!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by