Recomendations

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by enggass, Jan 7, 2013.

1. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Planning on getting some meat birds this year. Looking for input on the best source taking into account quality and price. Looking for faster growers. Cornish X - Any input appreciated. Open to any suggestions... Rangers? Who do you all recommend?
    Thanks.

2. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    Read back a few pages of posts and you'll start to draw your own conclusions on what fits your situation best. Good luck! Then armed with more details, folks can help you better. ..

3. enggass

enggass Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2010
    Mid-Coast Maine
    Thanks. I've actually read quite a bit already. I have also helped in raising some meat stock with my Brother In-Law. My plan is to get 25. I want a fast growing breed that matures in 7-8 weeks. What I was looking for was some feedback on sources for quality stock that is reasonably priced. Best price I have seen is from Meyer hatchery. White Broilers at $1.34ea - Straight Run. I have been raising layers for over 3 years, just not Meaties until now. Anyone?

4. Life is Good!

Life is Good! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    suburbia Chicagoland
    We got our CX from Welp this past fall - they are great to work with and the birds all turned out just great. Chicks were $1.65 (that included shipping costs) each.

The FR's we grew in the spring took nearly 12wks to get really good sized. We butchered the biggest cockerals at 10wks, the second bunch if mostly mid-sized cockerals at 11wks and the last (mostly pullets) at 12 wks.

If you're truly looking for a 7-8wk bird, you've got to go with CX. The FR's were simply not good sized at 7 or 8wks, likely a 3# dressed bird but I'm guessing from memory and statistics I kept on them.

5. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    Schlect Hatchery out of Iowa sells a pretty inexpensive CornishX.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by