Recommend a breed to a newbie

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Rhawn, May 8, 2009.

1. Rhawn

Rhawn Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Central Virginia
    I've been wanting to get a group of backyard chickens for our, well backyard! I want to start with chics so the kids, family and dogs can get used to them. And yes, our dogs will be kept separate and have access to our fenced yard at different times. I'm looking for about 4 to 5 total # of chickens.

I took a look at the online hatcheries stickied post and quickly realized I have no idea what breed I want.

The main purpose would be to farm free ranged eggs. But personality and looks don't hurt either.

My Dad's neighbor claims his chickens produce low-cholesterol eggs, but after some reading, that seems to be a myth.

And now for the super stupid newbie question.... do we need a rooster as well as hens to produce eggs? [​IMG] As a grown adult, that's just an embarrassing question.

2. hypnofrogstevie

hypnofrogstevie chick magnet

Jul 12, 2007
    Newton NJ
    Get some buff orp hens. They are sweet and tame. No need for a rooster to get eggs.

BTW: welcome to BYC

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  3. Rhawn

Rhawn Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Good God man, 7000 posts in under 2 years. How could I not take your advice! [​IMG]

4. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Quote:[​IMG] I love Cochins myself. Here is a url so you can see pictures.
    http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4DMUS_en___US202&um=1&sa=1&q=cochins+chickens&aq=f&oq=

Here are some other breeds that I think are a nice too. Brahmas and they come in different colors, light, buff and dark.
    Here is a link so you can see pictures of them;

http://images.google.com/images?
    sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T4DMUS_en___US202&q=brahma%20chickens&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&hl=en&tab=wi

Ameraucana are nice too. I have never own any myself but my friend has them and they are beautiful too and lay nice eggs. Here's another url

http://images.google.com/images?hl=en&rlz=1T4DMUS_en___US202&q=Ameraucana&um=1&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=wi

There are no stupid questions, we are here to help and learn too!! You do not need a Rooster in order to have eggs.

5. noitulover

noitulover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Quote:i second that! they're super gentle and good with kids!

6. I LOVE COCHINS

I LOVE COCHINS ChochieChochieCoo

Feb 10, 2008
    Last edited: May 8, 2009
  7. Drivegirl54

Drivegirl54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2009
    Winder, GA
    I'm with them.. Buffs are the way to go

8. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
    Quote:You won't be free ranging, they'll be foraging. It's a minor distinction to some, but a back yard is hardly free range territory.
    For breeds, one of the dual purpose birds is your best bet. Go for a single breed of the brown egg layers - I'd recommend the Rhode Island Red, Australorp/Orpington's or Plymouth Rock in one of it's many varietes. Personally, I would shy away from the exotics or feather footed breeds. What is wanted for the newcomer is a solid, near bullet proof performer.

9. Rhawn

Rhawn Out Of The Brooder

May 8, 2009
    Central Virginia
    Thank you for the clarification. My poor use of the term meant free range vs caged egg eggs like you get from the store. Some healthier free eggs is the goal.

Reading the chick mortality thread, should I expect to lose a chick or more in the process? I know its a possibility, but for example should I buy 6 if I want 5?

10. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    This site has a breed selector tool that should help. If you plan to mail order them, this hatchery also will sell only a few chicks. Most have a minimum of 25.

It is not unusual to lose a chick, but it doesn't always happen. And sexing is only about 90% accurate, unless you order a sex linked variety.

Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by