Recommend a cat litter

Discussion in 'Other Pets & Livestock' started by gritsar, Nov 10, 2011.

1. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    I currently use Arm & Hammer Essentials natural clumping litter. I like that its bio-degradable. Worked well for two cats, doesn't work well at all for three. Doesn't clump as well as some other brands I've tried. I scoop the box twice a day.

Litter Maid box or similiar is not an option. Oldest cat is a former feral that is easily spooked. Would be a disaster if she decided to stop using the box.

So recommendations?
    Edited because grammar is not my forte' at present.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2011
  2. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    I only use 'feline pine' type litter for all my cats including my outdoor cats when it's snowing. They all take to it immediately. I now buy 'equine pine' or equivalent from the feed store as it's much cheaper and works the same. Not clumping, but biodegradable and smells great. [​IMG]

3. Orchid

Orchid Chillin' With My Peeps

May 10, 2010
    North Central MN
    I use Swheat Scoop. Made entirely of wheat, biodegradeable, clumps VERY well, scoopable and has no added scenting. I really, really like it compared to everything else I've tried.

ETA: Here's a link. http://swheatscoop.com/

4. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

I get the huge Kroger brand box (40 lbs I believe)...Pet Pride. Despite it being cheap, I'm satisfied with how it clumps. We're a three cat household.

eta to add brand...

5. CrazyCatNChickenLady

CrazyCatNChickenLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 23, 2010
    Berry Creek, Ca
    I use the CHEAP stuff! I usually get the stuff from walmart in the red bag because I prefer non clumping. Instead of scoopin the box (okay.. boxes! I have 2 or 3!) I just dump the whole thing every couple days or so. I have a ton of cats but only the kittens use it and the big cats if they cant hold it when inside overnight. Recently I was given a bag of scented tidy cats (it comes in a huge bag!!) and It worked pretty good. I think it is dust free too! [​IMG] They had it at tractor supply so I just grabbed a bag when I got chicken feed/ cat food last week also. Think it was like $5.something for 40#.

6. Tracydr

Tracydr Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:I'm using the feline pine,too. Wish I could find the equine pine, it would be so much cheaper.

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    Quote:I'm using the feline pine,too. Wish I could find the equine pine, it would be so much cheaper.

It definitely is. Tractor supply has either the equine pine or a generic equivalent - about $5 for I think 40 pounds, MUCH cheaper than feline pine. Once I started using feline pine, I was sold. When I wasn't on Septic, I'd even flush the poo. [​IMG]

8. rodriguezpoultry

rodriguezpoultry Langshan Lover

Jan 4, 2009
    Claremore, OK
    I use Arm and Hammer "Multiple Cats" Scoopable Litter.

I am ALL about the non-smell. I've been bad and skipped on cleaning the litter box for a few...um...weeks. No smell and it clumps like a DREAM. Not that it helps much...as she has issues "covering" her poo. Always scratches the side of the litter box instead of the litter.

9. coonhoundmama87

coonhoundmama87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2011
    Wisconsin
    I just switched back to scoopable after years of regular tidy cats litter. I got some Fresh Step from DH's cousin whose cat died. I thought I'd try it on an outside cat that I have caged with her very small babies (dang late litters of kittens in cold weather!). It worked great for her so I got some for my house cats! It has carbon so the odor control rocks. Really does away with the poop smell. I have 2 cats so I got the multiple cat. Clumps really nice too. The smell wasn't that strong so I added some of this Tidy Cats litter box stuff I always bought before that's super scented. I like my litter scented, I'm sure some people don't but I'd rather smell fake fragrance than poop and pee!

10. Skyesrocket

Skyesrocket Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2008
    'equine pine'

That is a great idea! I'm going to switch to that because I can just put it in the manure pile when I dump the box. Thanks!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by