Recommend an antibiotic to dissolve in water

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by AimsChickies, Oct 28, 2008.

1. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    I have an injured chicken, was wondering if anyone coud recommend an antibiotic to dissolve in water? His leg was gotten by a hawk and some of the skin pulled off I cleaned it well and wrapped it. He is eating and drinking but i still think i should do something for infection.

2. wateboe

wateboe Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Lebanon, Ohio
    I purchased Baytril (tablet form for dogs) from my vet to treat a similarly injured duck. I don't recall the dosage, but my vet looked in up for me. I crushed the Baytril and mixed with a small ammount of "treat-type" food (it could not be dissolved in water.)

I have used Gallimycin dissolved in water to successfully treat a bacterial respiratory disease, but I do not know how effective it is for potentially infected injuries. Someone with more experience will surely be along here shortly with more advice! Good luck.

3. Barnyard

Barnyard Addicted to Quack

Aug 5, 2007
    Southwest Georgia
    I use terramycin. That is the one antibiotic that is use for your basic stuff. You can dissovle it in water and it is 2 tsp to 1 gallon. You can get it at TSC and most local feed and seed will carry it also!

4. gumpsgirl

gumpsgirl Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Mar 25, 2008
    Virginia
    I've used terramycin and gallimycin. Both were 1 tsp. per gallon of water.

5. AimsChickies

AimsChickies Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    SW Florida
    Thank you all soo much!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by