Recommend me a way to zap the wooly buggers!

nuthatched

Orneriness & Co.
Premium Feather Member
Nov 9, 2019
God's Country, Az
Hi guys, in the past two weeks, I've lost about $70 in feed and 4 hens from the elk ripping down my fence and breaking my feed containers open. My chickens get out when the fence is down and get nabbed by coyotes.
Eventually, I'd like to build my run with cinder block on the bottom and high wooden posts, but I need an effective solution now.
Tractor supply has 2 mile electric fencing chargers for $40 but they list only rabbits, dogs and poultry, I'm not sure iif it would give something the size of horse a suitable zolt.
They also have about 1400 feet of hot wire for $18, plus all the insulators and hook ups, I think it wouldn't cost much more than $100.

My run is roughly 18x50, someone please advise me on what would be best, I've has just about enough with these elk and I'm pretty frustrated.

Thanks!

Stout electric fencer (2-3 joule output) or removing the feed. The little 2 mile fencer probably won't get it done.

Stout electric fencer (2-3 joule output) or removing the feed. The little 2 mile fencer probably won't get it done.
Are the elk coming in the daytime or at night?

If at night, can you put the feed into your house overnight?
They come whenever they please, daytime, nighttime, it doesn't matter to them.
I moved the feeders inside the coop the first time it happened, I have the feed bags in a big Rubbermaid storage bin. Which they never noticed until recently, then knocked it over and kicked it until it opened. Did you know elk can pick.up 50lb bag of feed with their teeth? I put two cinder blocks on the lid and wedged the bin against the wall. No dice.
Tonight I dragged the bin in the coop under the poop boards. tonight there was an elk butt in the doorway.

Nope. It doesn't. I have to keep them from my hay barn regularly.

My charger currently

https://patriotchargers.com/collect...-mile-200-acre-free-shipping-and-fence-tester

My charger that I originally tried but wasn't quite enough.
https://patriotchargers.com/collect...rs/products/patriot-solar-guard-1000-40-miles

Output of 1 joule isn't quite enough. I bought the main one (3 joules) and its plenty. So 2-3 joules.

I am not an expert and I acknowledge that my comment was incomplete and misleading.

The link provided is for elk/deer and states:

"wire spacing should be close enough to prevent the animal from stepping through or putting its head between the wires. Attach 7 to 9 wire strands to posts that stand at least 70 inches above ground. Be sure that wires are placed near the nose level of the animal. To prevent jumping, an electrified top wire above the deer or elk’s head is recommended". [emphasis is mine]

So while a 2-3 joules charger will provide sufficient energy to deter an elk it needs to be combined with a fence setup designed for an elk.

Or set up so they're guaranteed to touch it before they get what they want. It takes a six foot fence to keep them out. Keeping them away from a chicken feeder or three is a little different matter

Tonight I dragged the bin in the coop under the poop boards. tonight there was an elk butt in the doorway.
How'd it get thru the coop door......or was it open?

It takes a six foot fence to keep them out.
Will elk jump a fence like deer do?

Or set up so they're guaranteed to touch it before they get what they want.
How do you do that...bait it with something?
Bacon works for carnivores, but elk?

Back
Top Bottom