Recommend thermostat for homade incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Noah King, Feb 13, 2016.

1. Noah King

Noah King New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Hi, I'm new to this forum so forgive me if I am not doing something right. I have been researching for a few months and have decided to make a small homemade incubator for hatching eggs instead of spending big money on an incubator. I have most of the basic supplies besides a thermostat and a fan for the incubator. Any suggestions for what kind I should get (preferably under $15). Any tips for building? Thanks!

2. jruhle

jruhle Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2012
    Most recommend a wafer thermostat but I have sucessfully used a hot water heater therm. You have to install it very close to the heat source and you can find a wiring diagram online. Good luck!

3. Noah King

Noah King New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    I have heard about the wafer thermostats but I don't know how they work or how to set them up could someone explain

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    A lot of folks are using, and very pleased with STC1000. Digital with a probe that goes at egg level, so you can check temps throughout bator.

5. Noah King

Noah King New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    I've hear a lot of good things about the STC1000 but I cannot find it in Fahrenheit. Do you know where I could find it

6. feedman77

feedman77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 10, 2013
    Saw one in Fahrenheit on amazon.

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Flock Master

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    You can find them in farenheit, celcius, and with a toggle switch to go back and forth.

8. Noah King

Noah King New Egg

Feb 13, 2016
    Sounds great! Thank you

9. HatchCraft

HatchCraft Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 15, 2011
    North Florida
    The stc 1000 has dual relays, one for heat and one for cool. On single relay models there is usually a delay function to protect compressors when used for cooling. This will also delay the thermostat from switching on when used to heat. This delay will increase the on - off temperature differential somewhat.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by