Recommendation for buying run

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by fmernyer, Mar 3, 2013.

1. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    My chickens aren't even a year yet - we've been pretty lucky with predators...up until now. Our yard is pretty big and has quite a bit of cover - so I've been letting them free range while I'm home (but not necessarily outside) even though we live in an area where predators are possible.

A few months ago a red fox passed through our yard and caused a bit of upset - but didn't get any of my hens.

Yesterday the hawk that was known to be living in the woods behind the house finally got one of my hens. Yes, yes I know "KNOWN??" you're thinking. But we were lulled into a false security because he never poked around the yard before and we spotted him infrequently enough to think maybe he's not actually living here...although the neighbor's chickens were picked off last year right away - her yard has NO cover...but I digress...

Now I have to finally get around to getting them a run.

My husband built our coop - its beautiful - but it was a loonnnggg drawn out affair and very costly (still not quite as costly as buying one - but darned close!). Also - since he's not all that handy with building materials he had to enlist the help of a friend...a fella who has even less time than my husbands...blah blah blah...so you see - building is not such a great option.

ALL THIS TO ASK: any recommendations on where to start looking for BUYING a run??

Perhaps purchasing something not meant to be a run with a really simple conversion I could do myself??

Or outright buying a run that won't break the bank?

Or at least will be worth the money I spend?

I'd embrace the idea of building it myself but I know myself and the first time I cut something at the wrong angle or couldn't nail something straight it would be the end of my project - lol.

Thank you!

2. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    You don't mention how many chickens you have. Google Chain Link Dog Runs. Many folks on BYC have said they use them for runs and they are easily "convertible" or can be easiliy added to to get your predator security to where it needs to be. I need one larger than this. I am toying with the idea of building it out of wood and hardware cloth, but I have also contacted Lowes and Home Depot for free estimates to install a chain link run for me. I am curious how much it will cost.

3. fmernyer

fmernyer Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2012
    CT
    I'll try that - thank you.

I now have 5 chickens. Because of the size of my coop I can't have more than 6 or 7 anyhow.

Thank you!

4. MoonShadows

MoonShadows The Jam Man

Jan 23, 2013
    Pocono Mtns
    My Coop
    A dog kennel should do you nicely then. They come in many sizes and price ranges. If you put in...dog kennel for run...in the search bar at the top of this page, you find some threads that deal with dog kennel runs. Good luck. let's see a pic or two when you are finished.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by